PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with finish.

Marty Rose
12-20-2006, 7:45 AM
My wife and I own an antique,copy of a Thomas Jefferson Sect'y. SOLID Mahog. All of a sudden,the finish has developed what looks lie spider webs,or the back of a Maple Lief. We have tried all types of OILS,Cleaners,etc. These lines will go away for about an hour and then start to re-appear. I am new to this site,and as a woodworker. Wood is so much better than
Metal, just splinters,no torn skin (YET) THANKS MARTY

Steve Schoene
12-20-2006, 9:28 AM
Tell us a bit more about your Secretary. Do you know who made it, and when"? If you don't know exactly what clues do you have as to age. (Are there hand cut dovetails, for example.) Do you have a suspicion of what triggered the sudden change in the finish?

In the mean time, oils are not going to be part of the answer. I would get ready to work on this by using mineral spirits to remove as much of the oil and old wax as possible. Don't get carried away--keep the process gentle. Then after you give us more to go on we can set about to help you determine what to do.

Marty Rose
12-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Well after considerable measuring,It stands 6ft1/2 inches tall,38 inches wide,two glass doors in the upper portion,four large darwers in the lower case,all drawers are dovetailed,except the ones in the "cubby" area which are made out of 1/4 inch Mohg. This was manufactured in the late 30's or early 40's in New York,as that is where my wifes Parents purched this item. It is a numbered item,#45 of 105? The front lets down and becomes a desk as I assume all sect'ys do This also is of solid Mohg. I will try your seg. very lightly and see what the results are. Any why else I can help with the description let me know. Marty