PDA

View Full Version : Hiding a big TV -- your ideas?

Alfred Clem
12-20-2006, 7:23 AM
Our new 40-inch Sony Bravia TV is a beauty, but I want to pick your brains: how can I hide it when it is not being used?

It measures about 40 inches wide, 30 inches high, and about 14 inches deep on its base. It's flat screen is much shallower. It stands above a row of (filled) cabinets which have plain, wooden doors, and I would like to match their appearance. If the TV is hidden behind more doors, I want those doors to disappear when opened, not stand out projecting into the living room. Of course, I will have to allow room for all the wiring that goes with the TV, which now leads down to the control box and the DVD controls. So far, I have checked the designs on SMC, but know there must be something better. Your thoughts, please?

Bob Childress
12-20-2006, 7:56 AM
You can build doors that will open up and then slide back into the recess of the cabinet. Rockler, for one, sells the hardware. Depending on the width of the doors versus the depth of the cabinet, you may have to make the door bi-fold to fit all the way into the recess.

Jason Roehl
12-20-2006, 8:01 AM
I know that there are door mechanisms that allow doors to slide straight back after they've been opened 90 degrees. My folks have a built-in EC with doors that do this in their 15 year old house (but their TV is only about 21").

Aren't LCDs nice? I just got one (a Samsung) myself a month or so ago. And, I just took the receipt back to Best Buy for an additional $318 off (they lowered the price AND put it on sale).

Here's one--scroll down the link page and look for "Pivot Door Slides":

http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewCatLevel3.asp?Cat=591&OrderID=

John Hemenway
12-20-2006, 8:41 AM
If your cabinet is not deep enough for the 'flipper' doors, you could use hinges that allow the door to open 180 degrees. They will end up flat against the side cabinets. Make the back of the doors look as nice as the front and it won't look bad with them open.

Larry Fox
12-20-2006, 9:15 AM
Our new 40-inch Sony Bravia TV is a beauty, but I want to pick your brains: how can I hide it when it is not being used?

You can store it at my house. :)