PDA

View Full Version : Shop Bot Question

Allen Grimes
12-20-2006, 5:16 AM
I've been interested in a shop bot for a long time, since I plan on working with a lot of sheet goods, but I was wondering. Can it be used to replace a shaper as well? If so what other tools does it replace? I figure a table saw and a router, but is that it? Better yet, what can it not do?

I dont expect you to list every little thing, but info you can give me would help me a lot.

Also, for those of you who own a Shop Bot, how do you like it? I mean does it do everything you want it to?

Thanks Guys

Keith Outten
12-20-2006, 6:42 AM
Allen,

A ShopBot CNC Router won't replace your table saw, shaper or router table. Some of the work you do on those machines might be better suited for the ShopBot but not all. Even hand routing is often better suited for some projects than having to spend the graphics design time to use the ShopBot. A Bot will add new machining capability and reduce the time it takes when making multiple parts.

ShopBot makes a very nice personal robotic tool that has an excellent reputation. A major plus for ShopBot is their loyal owners and the Talk ShopBot Forum that is an excellent resource for help and information. ShopBot continues to support their machines well after the sale and has a history of making upgrades available to improve machines in the field. Many of the people who purchased the older PRT machines have been able to upgrade to the PRT Alpha models by purchasing new parts. This may also be true with the new PRS Alpha that is do to be released in February 2007.

I own a PRTAlpha96 that is two years old. I have found it to be an incredible machine that has exceeded my expectations with plenty of room to grow as I learn to use more features. At two years I am still a novice but my Bot paid for itself in the first week which no other machine in my shop has ever done.

Ed Lang
12-20-2006, 4:17 PM
Allen,

Keith just about summed it all up.

I still use the table saw to rip sheets of material. The shaper with a door set will make 5 pc doors better than any CNC. The CNC will make a fantastic one pc door and I make quite a few for a local shop. All paint grade and made from MDF.

I cut lots of cabinet parts for other shops here. They feel I give them a better part than they can make themselves. I put their sheet on the machine and pull off parts with the rabbits, dados, shelf pin holes all ready to go. They just knock them together and finish.

I use the CNC for cutting multiple copies of the same part... my cutting boards for example.

If I can answer more questions or you would just like to chat about one, send me a private message here and let me know when to call and I'll be happy to do so. You can of course call me if you like. I am full time in the shop so most anytime I am here.

Take care,

Ed