PDA

View Full Version : CMS Requirements - Help!!

daniel lane
12-20-2006, 1:07 AM
Okay, first - I'm a relative newbie to the site, so let me say thanks to all the people from whom I've learned something while lurking for so long. It's been very educational! :)

Second, I need help in a fairly timely manner. I'm almost done renovating the guest bathroom and I'm looking for a compound miter saw - and the parents are coming to visit for Christmas, so there is a bit of urgency. (By the way, LOML is allowing me tool purchases since we didn't hire a contractor...sorry, she's taken! ;)) I'm looking very hard at the Dewalt DW716 because I can get it locally. Because of the urgency issue, I don't have time to mail order, so I'm looking to get it at the local big box store. The local big box stores aren't carrying the Bosch 4212L anymore (if they did in the first place) for some reason, so now I've got to figure out what to buy based on limited supply.

I need a CMS to do the baseboard and door molding for the bathroom, and will likely only use it in the future for similar projects and for my woodworking hobby, which will mostly be furniture and smaller things like jewelery boxes, presentation boxes for turned pens, coffins for mice, etc. I have only one possible restriction, really: My workshop is pretty small, and has fairly low ceilings (basement workshop).

I like the idea of a dual bevel saw because I won't have to flip the wood when working in the small shop, but I can't really find one of those that is 10". I can't imagine I really need more than 10", since I don't plan on making anything large enough to require that.

So, after ALL OF THAT OBNOXIOUS BACKGROUND...here are the questions:

1. Is my reasoning on the DCMS (no flipping wood) flawed?
2. Is a 10" enough for what I'll be doing?
3. Does a 10" DCMS even exist?

Many thanks to all who reply by Thursday - 'cause that's when I just go out and buy a saw. :)

P.S. Regarding the mouse coffins...not really. :p

Kent Fitzgerald
12-20-2006, 5:43 AM
Hi, Daniel, and welcome! Watch out, though, because the folks at SMC are really good at spending other people's money, and you're going to get a flurry of responses saying that what you really need is a $600, 12", sliding compound miter saw. ;)

The Delta 36-585 is a dual-bevel 10" saw that's unfortunately OOS at Amazon right now, but you might find one locally.

Here's another idea: I'm in a basement shop as well, and it's tough to get long pieces down the stairs, so my solution is to keep my miter saw upstairs. Long stuff gets cut on the driveway or patio.

John Miliunas
12-20-2006, 9:01 AM
Daniel, welcome to the Creek! Don't forget, we LOVE pictures over here! :D

Anyhow, about the saw. Many choices out there, though your limitation of keeping it local will obviously restrict the choices. The Dewalt is indeed a fine CMS. With space concerns, I'd probably stay away from the sliders, as they typically (the new Hitachi being an exception) consume more real estate. However, for the same reason, I may consider looking at a 12" unit. I does give you greater cut capacity, which you would particularly notice when doing angle cuts. I used to have a 12" Dewalt CMS, which performed very nicely. However, as age is starting to take a toll on my eyesight, I decided to change up to the Delta dual laser 12"-er. (Porter Cable has the "duplicate" to this particular saw.) :) If you're not buying until tomorrow, maybe you could go out and check what choices you DO have locally, beside the Dewalt. If you find other possible flavors you'd consider, give us another shout and we may be able to better pinpoint our responses after we know what all is available to you. :) :cool:

Don Bullock
12-20-2006, 9:57 AM
First, YES to your three questions.

I definately no expert on miter saws. I do however love the Hitachi C10FSH 12 Amp 10-Inch Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter saw with Laser that someone here found on a super sale at Amazon a few weeks back. Going with a slider was the best decision I made. Yes, the Hatachi isn't the best on the marked, but my tool budget is very limited.

Since LOML is allowing me tool purchases since we didn't hire a contractor, Id go with a sliding saw over a stationary blade while she's still giving permission to purchase tools, especially if it's her parents who are visiting.;) In that case jumping up to a 12" slider could be justified. It sounds like you would be using the saw for many years to come so getting one with all the "bells and whistles" now sounds like it would pay off for you. If I was in your situation and had the funds, I'd go for the Bosch 5412L 12-Inch Dual Bevel Slide miter saw with laser tracking or the 10" inch model (remember all the money you're saving by "doing it yourself.":D

Kristian Wild
12-20-2006, 10:03 AM
I second John's suggestion of avoiding a slider if space is at a premium. I have a Makita 12" CMS that I'm really happy with and it easily stores in a closet because of it's small footprint. By avoiding the slider you may want to seriously consider going to the biggest blade you can so you're not stuck trying to cut crown moulding or other wider stuff. Mine only bevels to one side, but I don't mind flipping stock providing I have room on both sides of the saw.

The price of these saws seems to really be coming down as everyone wants a slider. I got mine on sale two years ago for $279 (CDN) with an extra-Gucci $80 freud blade thrown in for free. Last week I saw the same machine at HD for $269 with a free 5" random orbital sander.

Welcome to the Creek too! Hope you get all your duties taken care of before the family arrives for Christmas. If you need a breather while they're there, this is always a good place to turn:D.

Kris

daniel lane
12-20-2006, 11:19 AM
If I was in your situation and had the funds, I'd go for the Bosch 5412L 12-Inch Dual Bevel Slide miter saw with laser tracking
With great thanks and a giant smile, I must say that it only took 4 posts for Kent to be proven right. :D

Don, while I appreciate the advice, what I didn't say was that I am going to avoid the 12" sliders primarily because with the difference in price between the fixed and the sliders, I can buy a finish nailer and compressor kit IN ADDITION TO the CMS.

I guess really the question is somewhere between a 12" DCMS and a 10" CMS is money that can be spent on even more goodies, and is it worth it?

daniel

John Miliunas
12-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Daniel, only YOU can really answer that last question. I ran a Ryobi 10" miter saw (wasn't even compound!) for several years. Put a nice blade on it, tuned it up real well and got some dynamite cuts off of it. :) However, at the time, I was just mainly doing trim work and smaller picture frames or similar on it. As time went on, I started handling larger projects and the 12" unit came into being. I yearned for a slider but, space constraints and budget precluded that notion. If you don't see yourself or anticipate doing anything more than a few inches wide, the 10" will probably suffice you just fine. BUT, remember, in the long run, it's best (and cheaper)to buy one good tool the first time than a couple "so-so" tools, which you most probably will upgrade down the road. :) :cool:

Doug Shepard
12-20-2006, 11:37 AM
You could always go cordless too. I use this thing all the time for the smaller scale stuff and storing it is a piece of cake due to the light weight. Doesn't sound like your bathroom project needs more than a handful of cuts. If you have a Rockler or Woodcraft nearby I think both of them sell these too.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10974

Randal Stevenson
12-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Okay, first - I'm a relative newbie to the site, so let me say thanks to all the people from whom I've learned something while lurking for so long. It's been very educational! :)

Second, I need help in a fairly timely manner. I'm almost done renovating the guest bathroom and I'm looking for a compound miter saw - and the parents are coming to visit for Christmas, so there is a bit of urgency. (By the way, LOML is allowing me tool purchases since we didn't hire a contractor...sorry, she's taken! ;)) I'm looking very hard at the Dewalt DW716 because I can get it locally. Because of the urgency issue, I don't have time to mail order, so I'm looking to get it at the local big box store. The local big box stores aren't carrying the Bosch 4212L anymore (if they did in the first place) for some reason, so now I've got to figure out what to buy based on limited supply.

I need a CMS to do the baseboard and door molding for the bathroom, and will likely only use it in the future for similar projects and for my woodworking hobby, which will mostly be furniture and smaller things like jewelery boxes, presentation boxes for turned pens, coffins for mice, etc. I have only one possible restriction, really: My workshop is pretty small, and has fairly low ceilings (basement workshop).

I like the idea of a dual bevel saw because I won't have to flip the wood when working in the small shop, but I can't really find one of those that is 10". I can't imagine I really need more than 10", since I don't plan on making anything large enough to require that.

So, after ALL OF THAT OBNOXIOUS BACKGROUND...here are the questions:

1. Is my reasoning on the DCMS (no flipping wood) flawed?
2. Is a 10" enough for what I'll be doing?
3. Does a 10" DCMS even exist?

Many thanks to all who reply by Thursday - 'cause that's when I just go out and buy a saw. :)

P.S. Regarding the mouse coffins...not really. :p

Several things, since you are going to finish the bathroom Thursday (tommorrow), consider a tool rental place, for the day. Then look around on the net, so you can get the saw for a LOT less money. Dewalts 10" model is dw703 but I think it is a single bevel. There are dual bevel compound miter saws, and there are sliding dual bevel ...... . If you are going to do more of the projects listed, and are considering crown molding in the future, I would go with the 12" (Dewalt sells refurb on Amazon). If your going to be doing more projects like decks, or framing, I would consider a slider.
Between rental, and buying online, your still gonna get it done, and come out cheaper then buying through the borg. That should make her happy, and give you bonus points toward a future purchase (like a stand).

Happy holidays.

glenn bradley
12-20-2006, 2:24 PM
I've got a De Walt DW 703. A simple 10" CMS. Got it for about $140 on sale and it has been a very nice tool as designed. Accurate right out of the box and light. Add a ZCI (1/4" hardboard). The BORG has the small Delta for under $200 list although it does not seems as nice as the De Walt but, I have used the De Walt for a couple years and only "looked" at the Delta. Hitachi's are getting blown out here and there as they've changed their design but there was probably a reason, right?

Don Bullock
12-20-2006, 2:38 PM
Several things, since you are going to finish the bathroom Thursday (tommorrow), consider a tool rental place, for the day. Then look around on the net, so you can get the saw for a LOT less money. Dewalts 10" model is dw703 but I think it is a single bevel. There are dual bevel compound miter saws, and there are sliding dual bevel ...... . If you are going to do more of the projects listed, and are considering crown molding in the future, I would go with the 12" (Dewalt sells refurb on Amazon). If your going to be doing more projects like decks, or framing, I would consider a slider.
Between rental, and buying online, your still gonna get it done, and come out cheaper then buying through the borg. That should make her happy, and give you bonus points toward a future purchase (like a stand).

Happy holidays.

Excellent idea!!!!!;) Renting would be the best way to go for now if your wife would let you buy the saw later.

BTW ~ I only suggested the 12" because your wife said you could buy some tools and perhaps you wanted an excuse to go for it all. Your idea of spraeding out your funds is a good one.

Noah Katz
12-20-2006, 2:44 PM
I'll 2nd the cordless :) idea; it's quiet anddoesn't throw dust everywhere.

If you think you'll use it later for carpentry, that's another matter.

skip coyne
12-20-2006, 3:59 PM
I was thinking cordless also , for baseboard and door molding of a guest bathroom something like this would do the job nicley allowing you time to get a deal on a CMS

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=48795-355-20-600F&lpage=none

This Clamping Mitre Box has a 14" Back Saw and a built-in measuring scale
Cuts miters on 45° and 90°, face angle 45°, and all new 22-1/2° angles (for octagonal shapes)
Molded-in storage compartments to hold cam pins and pencil
Cam-shaped pins twist and lock with honeycomb base to secure work for accurate cuts
Includes 14"/13 point saw

daniel lane
01-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Well, I suppose this is a thread bump, but it's really intended just to say thanks. I wound up working like mad to grout the floor and install the cabinet and vanity and toilet and get the bathroom in some semblance of functional for the folks before Christmas, then wound up getting really sick. So sick that I couldn't bring myself to leave the room I'd just renovated! :p

Anyway, between the day job that keeps me from having fun all day and the family visit, the molding and other 'minor' work wound up being delayed. As a Christmas gift from the family-in-law, I wound up with a DW716, but it's still in the box after 2 weeks, so it's time to break it out and finish the bathroom.

I found some before pictures, when it's all done I'll post those and the after pictures. Many thanks to all who replied and I look forward to more input on future questions!

daniel