PDA

View Full Version : Freud P410...

Elliott Cameron
12-19-2006, 10:10 PM
...does anyone have any experience with this blade yet ?

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000JNTG76.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38073232_.jpg

Thinking about buying one. Any opinions ??

Elliott

Hoa Dinh
12-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Quite a while back, the Freud F410 (not P410) was about $50, half of the price of the Forrest 40T WWII or the Jesada 44T CGP2000. Then someone figured out that the F410 cut just as well as the WWII and told Freud. As the result, Freud hiked the price up to about the same price as that of the WWII :mad:

The P410, from what I've heard, is supposed to replace the F410. I think the P410 has a higher bevel angle than the F410, and the red coating (I'm still not sure if there is really a benefit). The P410 is new so there is not much experience out there yet.

For about $100, the P410 will have to be much better than the WWII to gain market share.

I'm sure we'll hear from Charles M. pretty soon....

scott spencer
12-20-2006, 5:44 AM
I saw one demoed at a wwing show and was pretty impressed. Peachtree was taking orders for it, and claimed to have dibs on the first 500.

The F410 is part of Freud's "Premier" line. Which I believe they intended for it to be competition for the WWII and represent the best that a general purpose blade had to offer. AFAIK the MSRP was always pushing the $100 mark...it was Amazon that put it on sale cheap last spring, but I don't remember it being that cheap long term (but then again, I can't remember half what I used to! :D) ...the DW7657 is usually $50-$55.

The P410 "Fusion" replace the F410 in the Premier line and offers some innovation over most other GP blades, with the inclusion of a Hi-ATB grind in a GP configuration (40T, 20d hook, etc). As with any design approach, there's no free lunch...Hi-ATB grinds are the cleanest cutting grind I know of, with the downside of dulling somewhat faster than a regular ATB, but it should offer an advantage in cut quality over other GP blades. A tradeoff I'd likely be willing to accept for the improved cutting performance, as long as it maintained ripping versatility.

Charles McCracken
12-20-2006, 8:52 AM
The F410 was originally a low noise/anti-vibration 40T GP blade, then was changed into more of a standard GP blade much like the WWII. When that change occured the old versions were sold for great bargains like Hoa is referring to. The P410 is the replacement for the F410 and has the low noise/anti-vibration slots and HiATB grind (like our LU80 series Precision Crosscut blades) with double angle side grind (like our LU85 series Ultimate Cutoff Blades). The carbide used is a new formulation that has grain size less than 0.4 microns so it is incredibly dense and hard for long life.

Edit: Sorry, that's actually 0.6 micron grain size. We make the 0.4 micron for specialty applications.