PDA

View Full Version : I saw a different tool

Bart Leetch
12-19-2006, 9:11 PM
This tool looked like a biscuit joiner but instead of a blade for slotting it was built to drill holes for dowels.

I can't remember where I saw this tool, has anyone else seen this too if so do you remember where. In a magazine or on the internet?

If so where?

Thanks, Bart

Hoa Dinh
12-19-2006, 9:14 PM
Festool Domino (http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3919_1.htm)?

http://www.idealtools.com.au/images/domino_fp_pic.jpg

Dan Lee
12-19-2006, 9:18 PM
Think I heard the Festool Domino might be available in the US next year

peter slamp
12-19-2006, 9:26 PM
Would that tool function similarly to a mortise and tenon joint? Sorry about the noob question.

Bart Leetch
12-19-2006, 9:34 PM
Thanks Hoa Dinh.

Peter

I think you'll probably find out more on the link the Hoa Dinh provided. Most of us have only seen this tool on the internet.

Jim Becker
12-19-2006, 9:53 PM
Would that tool function similarly to a mortise and tenon joint? Sorry about the noob question.

Actually, Domino IS a mortise and tenon joint...more specifically, something generally referred to as "loose tenon", although there is nothing "loose" when the glue cures... ;)

Availablity is hopefully in the early spring based on recent threads/postings.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-19-2006, 9:56 PM
I saw another tool that actually made two distinct dowel holes using bisquit machine-like action. It wasn't a Festool. In fact, I posted an inquiry on another forum a few years ago and it peaked a lot of interest. However, it disappeared. Oh well.

-Jeff :)

Greg Burnet
12-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Hoffmann doweler? http://www.hoffmann-usa.com/htm/pds32/pds32.htm

Charles McKinley
12-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi Bart,

I have seen adds for the Hoffmann Dowler that Greg posted either in Fine Woodworking or Popular Woodworking.

Brian Doris
12-20-2006, 3:25 AM
While the Domino is loose tenon and the Hoffman dowels, there looks to be some other similarities in other regards. Note the strong resemblance between the Hoffman case and a Systainer. The clamps supplied, ditto. Very surprised that I have never seen even a passing reference to this tool in any Domino discussion, until now. More info. on the German site - for those who know the Domino, but not the Hoffman, it may be very well worth a read.

Mike Holbrook
12-20-2006, 7:44 AM
It almost looks like Festool made it, some of the resmblences are uncanny.

Larry Norton
12-20-2006, 8:20 AM
Bart, the one you're referring to is made by Lamello, the same folks who made the first biscuit joiner.

Bernhard Lampert
12-20-2006, 9:04 AM
The Hoffmann Duo Doweler is actually made by Mafell, Hoffman just re-brands it to their name and sticks it in a systainer a la Festool. I have one and I like it much better than biscuits. In my hands, it is easier and faster to use and glue-up is easier (no side-to-side movement).

BUT the Festo Domino is the bong! I used one on my last trip to Germany. I bet it will take over biscuits and dowels: stronger joint, easier and much more accurate and precise. And all comes at a price: The unit sells for 672 euros (~$800). And the loose tenons are pretty pricey, too: ~$90 for a set.
Supposed to come to the US sometime in 2007. I am contemplating getting one from over there and running it on 220V. Will run about 20% faster due to the diffeernce in frequencies (60 vs 50Hz), but that shouldn't matter.
Or maybe I should join Tool Junkies Anonymous and keep using dowels.

Bernhard

Mike Heidrick
12-20-2006, 6:17 PM
BUT the Festo Domino is the bong!
Bernhard

Isn't the saying "...is the bomb" not "...is the bong". Please do not smoke while using power tools. Festool is more expensive than most drugs however.

Greg Burnet
12-20-2006, 7:41 PM
The other unique feature of the Hoffmann is its ability to drill perfectly spaced shelf pin holes using the toothed accessory fence, 2 holes at a time. I use it for this purpose, as well as a doweling machine. It's really a useful tool, but I'm still eyeing the Domino. ; )