PDA

View Full Version : Tangling Router Cord

Burt Alcantara
12-19-2006, 7:27 PM
I've been cutting a lot of circles with the router. Basically, I don't have any problems except the cord keeps getting twisted so much that it looks like a boa trying to constrict the router. I am concerned that the cord will twist under the jig or somehow end up on the bit.

What do you guys do to either stop the twist from happening or getting it out easily?

Thanks,
Burt

Hoa Dinh
12-19-2006, 8:25 PM
Can you drop the cord down from the ceiling? That's what I do with most handheld power tools. The dust collection hose is dropped from the ceiling as well.

Mike Cutler
12-19-2006, 8:49 PM
I've been cutting a lot of circles with the router. I am concerned that the cord will twist under the jig or somehow end up on the bit.

What do you guys do to either stop the twist from happening or getting it out easily?

Thanks,
Burt

It will, It has, It's a pain in the keester, and it's dangerous. I've done it and had the router pulled out of one of my hands, and ruined the profile I was working on. Hoa has my solution, try and run it from the overhead

glenn bradley
12-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Unwind often. Another approach if you do a lot of circles could be a twist-lock connector about 2 feet from the router that could be easily disconnected occaisionally to allow unwinding during your effort. Is that as dumb as it just sounded?

Burt Alcantara
12-19-2006, 11:01 PM
I thought about putting the cord on the ceiling especially since my ceiling is only 82". I have been disconnecting the cord and spinning it around until is untwisted but that's a real pain.

I'm using the Jasper Jig so I can cut holes as small as 1". Finding the pin center is a real pain so I'd rather find a solution that wont disturb the router while it sits on the work piece.

Noah Katz
12-20-2006, 4:04 AM
How about embedding a Jasper circle jig into the top of your router table?

Darn, that's the first disadvantage to a cast iron RT.

Or, if you have a T-track in your router table, make a piece that clamps into it to hold the center pin.

You could set the proper distance of the pin with a digital calipers.

pat warner
12-20-2006, 9:17 AM
In my view, circle/disk making should be done in stages; maybe an 1/8"/pass. As such, one 360 trip CW, then 360 CCW back to the starting point x as many steps as it takes.
Worst case: One twist to the wire x the end of the process. Indeed, let the wire drop from the rafters.

Routing circle maker (http://www.patwarner.com)

Mark Singer
12-20-2006, 10:05 AM
I have a power reel above my bench and I can adjust the height of the cord... It keeps it out of the way most of the time:rolleyes: