PDA

View Full Version : My Turning Contest.............

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2006, 6:55 PM
In the course of learning to use the lathe that I was so generously given....it's been my experience that a little catch here...a little too much application of a tool.....the resultant defects can be judiciously covered up by some careful change in design.

Yesterday, I for the first time, turned 4 of the same things......4 table leg extensions. Now what made this hard was not only having them appear very similar though the recipients were not being too picky...I am. Mechanically they had to be very similar or the table legs are not the same length....and you could get seasick eating supper if you reached for the salt and pepper shakers or passed a bowl too often.

Now I've volunteered to turn 12 knobs out of bubinga...why....the challenge of making 12 items as nearly identical as possible. This should really challenge my turning skills..........The recipiant has already bought and shipped to me the bubinga......Here's hoping I don't have to order a bunch more.......But I will succeed! It's like so much else in life......it's just a matter of time......I hope he's patient!

Andy Hoyt
12-19-2006, 7:15 PM
Practice on other stuff first, Ken.

Get comfortable with the process and required technique.

Then schedule time when you know you'll be able to do all twelve in one session.

Jim Ketron
12-19-2006, 7:30 PM
Yep I agree with Andy!
Doing things like this makes us better at what we do!
Have fun turning!

Jim Becker
12-19-2006, 8:01 PM
Yup...do some "prototypes" and pick something "hard and smooth", but less expensive than Cocobolo or bubinga to practice with. And when you start making the "real" ones...make 16 and choose the best dozen. You always want to make a few extras of this kind of thing for any number of reasons. ;)

John Hart
12-19-2006, 9:56 PM
Good luck Ken. Lookin' forward to the pics!

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey Ken as my granddad would say no step for a stepper. Go for it my friend. You did it once you can do it again.

John Miliunas
12-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Ken, as rapidly as you've attained great turning skills, I have little doubt that you're not up to the challenge! :) However, as the others have stated, "practice" does indeed make perfect! Carry on, my friend! :) :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Ken, have to agree with the others in that you should turn some practice pieces first and get your technique figured out. After that it is just a matter of turning and should be a great learning experience - meaning fun! There's no doubt that you can do it! Looking forward to the pictures!

John Hart
12-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey Ken as my granddad would say no step for a stepper. Go for it my friend. You did it once you can do it again.

That reminds me of what my grandma used to always say....."Who's kid are you?" :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2006, 1:45 AM
That reminds me of what my grandma used to always say....."Who's kid are you?" :)

I'm bettin' this actually happened to John.....True stuff!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Frank Kobilsek
12-20-2006, 9:23 AM
Ken,

Matching all depends on how close in proximity the two items will be when installed. I make finials for a custom sign guy. When I deliver a pair and say 'Milt this pair ain't really all that close' he holds them one in each hand with his arms spread out and responds 'Looks better than my cousin made'.

Practice, measure and do them all in one session and you'll be fine.

Frank

Ernie Nyvall
12-20-2006, 6:15 PM
I always heard it as "That aint no hill for a stepper" or "No guts no green stamps."

You can hanle it Ken. Good luck.