PDA

View Full Version : Latest project and question

Bryan Somers
12-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Heres a set of dog stairs the LOML wanted made for our Lab Morgan so she can climb into bed easier she has injured one of her back legs (BTW our dogs are not spoiled :rolleyes: !) The sides made from birch 3/4 plywood the treads from some pine boards I had around the house. The risers ended up being poplar mainly because I messed up cutting the risers and the pine the borg had looked like a wave, andI lack a few tools to work with rough stock like a jointer and planer.

I glued and screwed some cleats to the inside of the steps to get more glue surface and a little more stability which created part of my problem

As you can see from the gap I did'nt get the cleats for the first step lined up quite right. Now how do you line up edges of corners so this doesnt happen. The misses is very pleased with it but I'm not. I was going to paint every thing but I'm leaning toward painting the sides and risers but finishing the treads with a urethane.

Greg Pierce
12-21-2006, 8:40 PM
Bryan,
I had to build a set of steps for our Yorkshire Terriers a few years back. Ours wouldn't come up the steps if they slipped so we had to keep a towel on the steps for traction. In the last year they have both gotten too feable to come up and down so we play elevator for them.

Had to put the old lady 13 years old, our little "muffin" to sleep last week. Sad times.

I hope Morgan is doing well.

Jim Becker
12-21-2006, 8:45 PM
"Block Plane"

Lori Kleinberg
12-21-2006, 8:54 PM
Greg I used some scrap carpeting tacked to the steps.
This prevents any skidding off the steps.

John Miliunas
12-21-2006, 9:02 PM
Yup, what Jim said. Block plane would take care of that the easiest. However, seeing as to how what's done is done, how about some quarter-round in the seams? It'll look finished and hide the gap. :) Carpet or some of those "no-slip" tape strips should help Morgan from slipping while going up/down. For Morgan's sake, I'd be weary of any slick finish. :) :cool:

Jesse Thornton
12-21-2006, 9:09 PM
Ditto on what Jim said. If you end up a hair higher than you want to be, just knock it down with a block plane (and maybe a chisel for that last inch).

But to avoid that in the first place, you could clamp your cleats when your screwing them on so they don't slip, or you could forgo the cleats and attach the treads with pocket hole screws. Or you could clamp the treads down and attach the cleats to both surfaces at once. As always, there are plenty of other methods as well, probably better ones than I'm suggesting.
Don't sweat your little mistakes - you'll make more...many, many more.;)
I prefer to call them 'lessons'
Besides, I suspect your four legged friend will never notice - dogs have poor eyesight right?
BTW, I have a couple of big oh-so-loyal mutts too, so I appreciate your byline.

Ben Grunow
12-21-2006, 9:17 PM
I know this is wood working and perfection is the goal but like the little quote under my name says, caulk this gap on a paint grade dog step.

Sorry to not address your question but the carpenter in me took over.
I agree with the block plane suggestion.

Ben