PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming gloat

John Miliunas
11-11-2003, 8:30 AM
Live and learn is all I can say. About a year ago, I figured the Jet 14" BS with riser would be my "end to end all". Guess what? Fine saw, but our "new" project house will require me to stretch my wood supply as much as I can, so resawing will be an important part of the process. So, Laguna has this new 14" BS with 12" resaw capacity. I figured this may just be the ticket. Did some research and got some great feedback from fellow SMC'ers, plus additional communication with that guy who now has that aircraft carrier sitting in his shop (Jim Becker). So, yesterday I pulled the trigger. Laguna has a "special" going and I took advantage of it. Oh yeah...I passed on the 14"er. Ordered the LT16. The package inlcudes the brake, the mobility kit, my choice of 4 blades and one of their new, high-tech Resaw King blades. Pricing was "normal" for all the options, but it also includes shipping w/liftgate to my door! (In my case, that would've been $200.00+). The "bad" part is, according to my Laguna rep, the LT16 has now taken over as their #1 seller and won't be back in stock until @ the 25th, so I won't see it until the first week in Dec. :( Now I just need to figure out what to charge for my "old" Jet, because LOML said, "Well, I guess you can get it. You'll get a pretty decent buck for your old one, right?" Oh, and what have I "learned"? Like so many before me have said, buy the best you can afford and, if possible, overbuy as related to your present needs. Chances are good you'll need more than that later on. No truer words ever spoken. :cool:

Jim Becker
11-11-2003, 9:40 AM
Geepers...I'm gonna have to find an excuse to get up there to "cheese land" and check out your new shop! Lots of new iron 'been arriving there lately!

Congrats on the new saw!

Tom Sweeney
11-11-2003, 11:15 AM
You've been a busy guy the last few months John! Here's what you do - you take delivery of that sweet new saw in early December - try it out for a few weeks and make sure it suits your needs. After the first of the year I'll have some free time on my hands so I'll drive on out to visit with you at the new shop - er I mean home - & before I leave we'll load up whichever of the 2 bandsaw's you want to get rid of & I promise to give it a good home :D

Have fun with all your new toys er I mean tools :D :cool:

John Miliunas
11-11-2003, 12:01 PM
before I leave we'll load up whichever of the 2 bandsaw's you want to get rid of & I promise to give it a good home :D

Wow, Tom! That sounds awful generous of you! Just a big, BIG sacrifice on your part, I'm sure. :rolleyes: Only two problems with that plan, though. One, per LOML, I should be down to one BS in a *hurry*! That leads to the second "problem": I won't have a BS to "get rid of"! Hmmmm...Actually, now that I think of it, I *DO* have a little Craftsman 9" BS, which I kinda' think may not get a lot of use! Fact is, it's had very little use to begin with! Hey, thanks for reminding me.... :D At any rate, I'm going to be chomping on the bit while waiting for my new toyl...I mean toly....Errrrrrr...Make that tool! Yeah. That's what I meant! :rolleyes: :cool:

Ed Falis
11-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Man, how much gloating can you stand?

How's the new tablesaw?

- Ed

John Miliunas
11-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Man, how much gloating can you stand?

How's the new tablesaw?

- Ed

Hey now just wait a cottin', pickin' minute! I've read enough gloats over the last couple years to keep me green with envy for a long, long time! Even my "major" gloats are in the shadows of many others. BUT, to me, some of my own have been major league, I admit. Then this evening, my daughter showed me her 1st quarter report card. Even though she's in several accelerated classes, she still managed getting on the Honor Roll! (Now THAT'S a gloat!) :D

Depending on the sale of my old truck and the Jet BS, I may still have one or two more up my sleeve, though not quite as impressive. I started figuring costs on my ductwork alone and that's going to take a chunk of change! Plus, I still need to get some more fluorescent lights. Started installing some this evening and the difference is awesome!

As for the BW-10LTS, simply put: I plain old LOVE it! :D I know that for a lot of guys out there, who've had their own flavor cabinet saw for years, it may not be that big a deal, but to me it may just as well be a Rojek, MiniMax or similar! I've got my old Excalibur overarm guard installed on it, as well and I should be getting the Biesemeyer splitter via UPS tomorrow. (Curt over at Wilke, cut me a helluva' deal on it!)

All in all, it's been a blast and I can't wait to get into production mode! Most of the workstations are ready to rock 'n roll, mainly waiting on dust collection now. I'll keep 'ya guys posted as to progress... :cool:

Jim Becker
11-12-2003, 9:22 AM
Pictures, John. Pictures! We like pictures.

(Did I happen to mention we'd like to see pictures?)

John Miliunas
11-12-2003, 9:55 AM
Pictures, John. Pictures! We like pictures.

(Did I happen to mention we'd like to see pictures?)

Do you *really* want to see my "House of Mess"?! :rolleyes: The TS extension is now renting out space to misc. tools, supplies, etc... There are still unpacked boxes all over the place (although you can actually see a limited amount of counter space!) :) There are still so many other house projects going on at the same time, it's kinda' hard to concentrate on getting one of anything totally completed. It's coming, though.... :D :cool:

Jim Becker
11-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Do you *really* want to see my "House of Mess"?!

Sure..."before" and "after" is a common theme on all the home improvement shows. Why should you be exempt?? :p

Alan Turner
11-12-2003, 10:39 AM
John,
You might want to consider seeing if Laguna will give you a deal on Carter guides for that 16"'er that is coming. On resawing esp. I think you will like them a lot better than the Euro style guides. And, if you do go this way, be aware that changing from a wider resaw blade to a scrolling blade will take more time as there is a double bearing on the sides for resawing, but this is too much depth for a scrolling blade. I know a 3/8" blade will not fit with the double bearing. Not sure abut a 1/2" one. All of that is long way of saying that you might consider keeping that old Jet for when you need to scroll a cut, without spending about 30 min. or so changing the new guy over. Make a curved somethiing for you SWMBO, out of resawn stock, and she will quickly understand your long term wisdom.
Alan

John Miliunas
11-12-2003, 11:54 AM
John,
You might want to consider seeing if Laguna will give you a deal on Carter guides for that 16"'er that is coming. On resawing esp. I think you will like them a lot better than the Euro style guides.

I think I'll be holding off on that, for a bit. They now have a new, 5-point ceramic guide system on the new saws. Can't say for sure, but it looks like it may handle the more narrow blades equitably. Guess I'll find out for sure once I get it, but may be an interesting question to present to the sales rep, who took my order. Thanks for the heads up! I'll check with him and let you know what I find out. :cool:

John Miliunas
11-12-2003, 12:34 PM
I'll check with him and let you know what I find out. :cool:

As indicated, I presented the question of the Carter guides to the Laguna rep. This is certainly NOT meant to start a "flame war", but this was his response: (A real, *REAL* prompt response, I might add!):

Where in the world to these people come from ???
I have been with Laguna Tools for 7 years. We have NEVER had to use carter guides on our bandsaws for smaller blades. Carter guides are in fact expensive they work very poorly, and do not work well on small blades. Prior to our patented ceramic guides we used European guides, which have the same operating range on blade sizes as the ceramic guides, which is 1/4" to 1-1/4". That said, we have also ALWAYS had the option of Cool Blocks for 1/8" & 1/16" blades, as these cool blocks can touch the teeth without damage. You can always get these cool blocks for your bandsaw if you are going to use these small blades. Let me know if I answered this satisfactorily. Regards, Mike

Now mind you, I've never as much as laid hands on a Laguna, MiniMax or similar, so I can't say with any authority what the final outcome is or will be. At this point, I would like to believe that an OEM rep of that seniority would know about such things. Again, that is what I believe right now. The final analysis will come once the unit is in house! :cool:

BTW, Jim: OK, ok....I'll try and get some shots out here before week's end. :rolleyes:

Gene Collison
11-12-2003, 12:47 PM
The "bad" part is, according to my Laguna rep, the LT16 has now taken over as their #1 seller and won't be back in stock until @ the 25th, so I won't see it until the first week in Dec. :( Now I just need to figure out what to charge for my "old" Jet, because LOML said, "Well, I guess you can get it. You'll get a pretty decent buck for your old one, right?" Oh, and what have I "learned"? Like so many before me have said, buy the best you can afford and, if possible, overbuy as related to your present needs. Chances are good you'll need more than that later on. No truer words ever spoken. :cool:[/QUOTE]

John,

I'm going to remember this one! Get a new $2000 Laguna so you can stretch your wood dollars LOL! Brilliant move! Your LOML is great and I might add sympathetic to the cause. Hope you get your new saw soon and all of the wood to go with it so you can stretch your wood dollars.

Gene

Ed Falis
11-12-2003, 1:55 PM
I'm going to remember this one! Get a new $2000 Laguna so you can stretch your wood dollars LOL! Brilliant move! Your LOML is great and I might add sympathetic to the cause. Hope you get your new saw soon and all of the wood to go with it so you can stretch your wood dollars.

Gene

I gotta' see if I can run that one by mine, too. Er, after I pay for the new roof, I guess.

But seriously, John, glad you're in a position to acquire and enjoy. Pictures!

- Ed