PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question About Skews

Guy Germaine
12-19-2006, 12:16 PM
The set of tools that I bought has 2 different sizes of skews, buth straight. What are the skews with curved cutting edges used for? Are they any easier to use than a straight skew?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11346&cookietest=1

Bill Boehme
12-19-2006, 12:20 PM
The straight ones are used for opening paint cans and the curved ones are used for scraping mud off your boots:D.

Seriously, both do the same thing, but I personally perfer the curved one -- more specifically the Sorby oval skew.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Guy............the curved skews are used as an ordinary skew from what I've read. I tried put a curve on my for a while but didn't see any change in the results. This was very early in my turning experience. I've since returned the normal grind to the skew. I use it quite a lot! The more I use it the more I've learned to like it. It's taken a lot of practice but I quite often find it's the only tool I use on smaller projects like pens and bottle stoppers. From roughing through detailing......that's the only tool I use. I've even gotten to the point of making shallow concave coves with it quite successfully. I use it as a scraper too. I often go through several projects without a catch. When I do get a catch it's because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.

David Walser
12-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Guy,

As you will note from Bill's response, there are two types of "curved skews". The "oval skew" is oval in cross-section. Many find it easier than a "flat skew" to manuver on the tool rest in cutting beads.

The other type of curved skew has a curved cutting edge. Alan Lacer is a great advocate of this type of grind. Again, some find it easier to turn a bead with the curved edge as it tends to keep the long point out of the way, preventing a catch. Try both grinds and use what you like the best.

I prefer a "straight-flat" skew myself. I use my skew for making peeling cuts to establish the tennon on a lidded box and similar things. For that cut, I want a straight cutting edge and I want the skew to rest flat on the tool rest. A curved radius on the grind makes it harder to get a straight tennon. An oval skew is apt to "roll" when trying to hold it flat on the tool rest. As always, YMMV.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-20-2006, 7:29 AM
The straight ones are used for opening paint cans and the curved ones are used for scraping mud off your boots:D.

Seriously, both do the same thing, but I personally perfer the curved one -- more specifically the Sorby oval skew.

BillDarn, no wonder I've been having trouble with those paint cans. Oh well, that's what engineers are for. Right?:D :)