PDA

View Full Version : Gluing pens

Rich Stewart
12-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I got a quick question for the pen turners here. If you glue the tubes into a piece of cocobolo wood and later the glue turns loose, will the pen come apart or will the pressed in fittings prevent it from falling apart?

Rich

Jon Shively
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Depends. Have had nib points that I glued in because they seemed loose. So if you had that scenario also, might come apart. Seems like it might be hard to write with loose.

David Walser
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Rich,

Like almost all important questions, the answer to yours is "It depends." Some turners modify their pen kits so there is not a metal cap on top of the pen. In that case, if the glue fails, the wood can come right off of the tube. However, if both ends of the wood/brass tube has a force fit metal fitting, the failure of the glue will not cause the pen to come apart. Instead, the wood will spin on the brass tube. Does that make sense?

Mark Hulette
12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
It's possible that the fittings could keep the assembly together for a little while but eventually the tube will spin in the wood blank.

CA is the biggest culprit for this in my experience. Had it happen last night as a matter of fact... the tube was just small enough that it really needed poly glue but I just had to try it~:rolleyes: Yep- broke loose twice then I put some Gorilla to it and I'll turn it tonight.