PDA

View Full Version : Delta saw ID

David Wilson
12-19-2006, 8:32 AM
I've been watching this item on an auction sight and wonder if anyone has any ideas? Listed as 3HP 3 PHASE delta tablesaw. Looks like an old unisaw. Do you agree? Also, I don't have 3 phase power, so would I be smarter changing the moter or getting a phase converter? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52917&stc=1&d=1166534776

David Wilson
12-20-2006, 8:24 AM
Took a drive yesterday and checked out the saw. It is an old unisaw and runs smooth. Still have to resolve the 3 phase problem and would apreciate any input.
Thanks.

Steve Schoene
12-20-2006, 8:47 AM
I have a Unisaw of a similar vintage with the cast iron base. Mine had a 1 1/2hp. 115 volt motor. When I swapped it out I did have to enlarge the hole on the side of the cabinet because the larger motor would hit before reaching full tilt. You might want to consider that in planing to change motors.

I have zero experience with phase converters and those pro's and con's so I won't say anything.

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 8:51 AM
David, it should be easy to do a motor swap on a Unisaw, David if phase conversion proves to be less than practical for you. But for the latter, a VFD might be a good solution to consider, especially off the surplus market. If there is any power loss, it will likely not be all that noticable for most table saw work. IMHO, of course.

Chuck Saunders
12-20-2006, 8:56 AM
Don't the Unisaws have a special (proprietary) motor mount? This would make the motor swap more expensive if not more difficult.
Chuck

Bill Simmeth
12-20-2006, 9:05 AM
As Steve indicates, the motor cut-out would have to be enlarged to accommodate a modern motor. The early Unisaws used the old "bullet motors" and their shape allowed the arbor to go full tilt. Modern motors don't fit quite that easily. However, hacking up the sheet metal isn't all that hard to do, depending on how nice you want it to look. Further, you indicate it is 3HP. I don't beleive the bullet motors were offered in 3HP. That combined with the updated starter on the front would make it quite likely that the hole was already enlarged, saving you some work. A new replacement motor will run you about $300-400. For samples, look at electricmotorwarehouse.com. On the other hand, a simple static converter will run you about $100 and reduce your net HP somewhat, but 3HP is plenty to start with for that size saw, so I wouldn't be bothered by that. If you're thinking of adding other 3 phase machines, consider the extra expense of a rotary converter.

BTW, did you happen to catch a serial number on that saw? I ask because it sports the very early and quite rare solid dust door. If that dust door came with that saw, the combination of the dust door and solid plinth would date the saw to 1940. If you have the serial number the historians over at owwm.org would be very interested in it as the changeover point from four-footed base to solid plinth is still being triangulated.

Good luck on your auction!

Bill Simmeth
12-21-2006, 8:23 AM
David, congrats it looks like you won that saw? I don't know if you noticed, but I asked the seller to check the top of the tilt scale for a serial number. This is where very early Unisaws carried their SN. Sure enough, he replied that he found K-269 stamped there. This makes your "new" saw a 1940 model, the second year of Unisaw production. It is also, historically, a significant machine in that it is a real transition piece. While it has the solid cast iron plinth that Unisaws sported for YEARS, it still has a solid dust door. Heretofore, solid dust doors have only been associated with machines from the first year of production, those with the four-footed base. Anyway, it's a nice saw and, by your account, still going strong after 65+ years!

Enjoy.

Ernie Hobbs
12-21-2006, 8:43 AM
Dave:

It looks like your new saw is similar to mine. I bought this saw about a year ago- it is a 1940 M-271 unisaw. Evidently, yours is a little older. I really like the saw but, I need a new motor. I've been limping along with the original 1 hp bullet motor but it is really weak and needs to be replaced (I'm waiting for a bonus check). If you decide to replace the motor on your saw and find a good source for a new motor that is fairly inexpensive, could you pass the info along to me? I'm looking for something in the 3 hp to 5 hp range, single phase. Thanks.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24750

Kermit Hodges
12-21-2006, 8:46 AM
That solid front dust door is extremly rare and would bring some good money to the right person.

David Wilson
12-21-2006, 9:07 AM
Thank's for the replys. Yes, I won the saw. It is located only 27 miles from me and the seller offered to deliver for $25.00. Won't do much with the saw for a couple months as my new shop addition will be starting around the first of the year and at the present time I can hardley move in my shop. Havn't decided on the 3 phase problem but if I decide to replace the motor with a single phase I will post and hopefully find someone interested in the old motor.

Jim Becker
12-21-2006, 9:30 AM
David, congratulations!! That's going to be a very nice addition to your...umm...NEW shop! :D