PDA

View Full Version : mini cyclone and sand...

David Rose
12-19-2006, 3:12 AM
Does anyone think there is a possibility of the Mini Cyclone working between a sand blasting cabinet and a shop vac? I have my doubts, but thought I'd ask.

The Hepa filter in my shop vac is stopping up pretty fast. It may be due to the sand grinding finer, I'm not sure. But it ran OK for a bit. Shipping on the special sand that I need to use is high, so I am trying to stretch the life a bit.

I'll ask the builders if they don't respond here. I posted here in case someone might have any ideas on how to deal with the problem also.

David

Perry Holbrook
12-19-2006, 7:00 AM
David, I was just discussing this with a glass artist friend over the week end. The problem with using a shop vac with a sandblasting cabinet is the fines clog the filter quickly AND over time the fine sand will find its way into the motor and kill it. As you know sand dust is very bad for the lungs so the HEPA filter is suggested.

I think the mini cyclone would fix these problems for the most part. I don't see why it won't work. The only problem I see is that the sand may wear out the sides of the cyclone over time. The Clear Vue unit may last longer in this case. It may also be possible to line the unit with sand blast resist.

Perry

David Rose
12-19-2006, 3:35 PM
Perry,

As fast as sharp sand eats away paint and such, I figured it would be murder on the plastic. Is "sand blast resist" a compound or were you saying this generically? I was also thinking of some sort of metal deflector right at the original contact point.

David

David, I was just discussing this with a glass artist friend over the week end. The problem with using a shop vac with a sandblasting cabinet is the fines clog the filter quickly AND over time the fine sand will find its way into the motor and kill it. As you know sand dust is very bad for the lungs so the HEPA filter is suggested.

I think the mini cyclone would fix these problems for the most part. I don't see why it won't work. The only problem I see is that the sand may wear out the sides of the cyclone over time. The Clear Vue unit may last longer in this case. It may also be possible to line the unit with sand blast resist.

Perry

CPeter James
12-19-2006, 4:43 PM
I would think the resist would impede the action of the cyclone. I would think maybe a sacrificial liner inside the cone of the cyclone might do the trick. When it wore thin, you could replace it.

CPeter

Jim Becker
12-19-2006, 5:23 PM
Wouldn't a metal cyclone be better for this particular application???

David Rose
12-19-2006, 7:57 PM
Jim,

I suspect it would. Remember that this is a "shop vac" deal, at least at this point. I wonder if I should just build a "trash can deflector" kind of rig. Then again, thin sheet metal would probably dissolve if velocity is anywhere near the gun speed. But it may be slowed enough to not matter.

I guess I should try the manufacturer, but I'll bet they've not been faced with this question/thought.

David

Wouldn't a metal cyclone be better for this particular application???

Perry Holbrook
12-19-2006, 8:33 PM
A sandblast resist is a thin film of materials that the sand blast gun will not penetrate. Some have pressure sensitive backing and are a plastic like material. Other resist are fabric, rubber , etc. actually a lot of things.

I don't know what kind of plastic Clear Vue uses, but I would not be surprised that it will resist the wear better than metal, since several plastics can be used as resist.

Maybe I should explain what a resist is. Think of it as a stencil. Where there are cutouts the sand will "blast", where the resist is solid the sand will not hit the surface of the material you're blasting.

As an example, when I need a hole in glass, rather than drilling, sometimes I'll make a hole in a resist material and blast thru that hole and thru the glass leaving the rest of the glass un scratched.

I still think this will work. I'll call both companies tomorrow and discuss it.

Perry

Howard Rosenberg
12-19-2006, 9:00 PM
....call Ed at Clear-Vue.

He enjoys an excellent reputation for personalized service and attention.

Also, because ed makes his cyclones to Bill Pentz standards, why not contact Bill himself?

HTH
Howard

Charles McKinley
12-19-2006, 9:41 PM
David,

Call Oneida Air and ask if the dust Deputy is up for this.

David Rose
12-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks Perry,

Let me know what you come up with.

David

A sandblast resist is a thin film of materials that the sand blast gun will not penetrate. Some have pressure sensitive backing and are a plastic like material. Other resist are fabric, rubber , etc. actually a lot of things.

I don't know what kind of plastic Clear Vue uses, but I would not be surprised that it will resist the wear better than metal, since several plastics can be used as resist.

Maybe I should explain what a resist is. Think of it as a stencil. Where there are cutouts the sand will "blast", where the resist is solid the sand will not hit the surface of the material you're blasting.

As an example, when I need a hole in glass, rather than drilling, sometimes I'll make a hole in a resist material and blast thru that hole and thru the glass leaving the rest of the glass un scratched.

I still think this will work. I'll call both companies tomorrow and discuss it.

Perry

David Rose
12-19-2006, 11:11 PM
I'll email Clear View and Oneida right now. Let me know if you hear anything else. I'll let you know what they say.

David

Jason Morgan
12-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I am by no means and expert in this field, but I do know a thing or two about dust extraction. I work in the toner industry and we have small shop vac type vacuums in all of our labs. All of them have a small cyclone in line and it works great.

As far as abraision is concerned, remember a cyclone spins the material where as sandblasing is generally a direct impact. Not that the former will now wear the cyclone, its just that I dont think it will eat through it that much faster.

Let me know what you find out.

David Rose
12-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Well... Oneida was easy to find. Clearview is not quite so. Does anyone know their addy? I've searched for nearly an hour for their site. They are still in business, aren't they?

David

David Rose
12-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Jason,

I have those same thoughts. Though the dust won't likely impact like a blast gun, it will still be very abrasive. Do you deal with abrasive dust?

My mid range $100 shop vac is making "interesting" noises now. So I suspect I will either need to react fast or start over.

David

I am by no means and expert in this field, but I do know a thing or two about dust extraction. I work in the toner industry and we have small shop vac type vacuums in all of our labs. All of them have a small cyclone in line and it works great.

As far as abraision is concerned, remember a cyclone spins the material where as sandblasing is generally a direct impact. Not that the former will now wear the cyclone, its just that I dont think it will eat through it that much faster.

Let me know what you find out.

Noah Katz
12-20-2006, 3:58 AM
A shop vac will have insufficient CFM/velocity if used with a large cyclone, and a large cyclone/DC will have insufficient SP/CFM to work with a shop vac sized orifice.

David Rose
12-20-2006, 5:16 AM
Thanks,

David

Rick Thom
12-20-2006, 7:00 AM
Jim,

I suspect it would. Remember that this is a "shop vac" deal, at least at this point. I wonder if I should just build a "trash can deflector" kind of rig. Then again, thin sheet metal would probably dissolve if velocity is anywhere near the gun speed. But it may be slowed enough to not matter.

I guess I should try the manufacturer, but I'll bet they've not been faced with this question/thought.

David
David, if you haven't actually seen the Oneida Dust Deputy, it is constructed of quite heavy material and it's well fabricated. This isn't light weight tin. If a wear spot did develop eventually, if would be simple to just cut out the worn piece and weld in a patch.

Jim Becker
12-20-2006, 8:46 AM
David, if you haven't actually seen the Oneida Dust Deputy, it is constructed of quite heavy material and it's well fabricated. This isn't light weight tin. If a wear spot did develop eventually, if would be simple to just cut out the worn piece and weld in a patch.

Agree. I saw the prototype and it was heavy guage steel, not "HVAC" type material.

David Rose
12-20-2006, 3:13 PM
Rick and Jim,

No, I haven't seen the Dust Deputy. I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions huh? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

David

Andrew Shaber
12-20-2006, 4:26 PM
link to clearview (http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm)

David Rose
12-20-2006, 4:37 PM
Thanks, Andrew. I found it early this morning.

David

link to clearview (http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm)

David Rose
12-20-2006, 4:39 PM
Ed at Clear Vue said that he won't "guarantee" sand to not eat the plastic, but really doesn't think it will hurt it. He has a customer collecting machined ceramic dust for 18 months with no problem.

Thanks everyone! Decisions decisions...

David

Al Garay
12-20-2006, 4:46 PM
Here's another metal cyclone for shop vac. The vendor has good reviews and was responsive to my questions. The price is right.

Moderator Edit: Auction #280059798544 EBAY

David Rose
12-20-2006, 5:19 PM
Al,

Yes, the price IS right! Did you buy one? How efficient is it? How much dust carries over to the vac?

David

Here's another metal cyclone for shop vac. The vendor has good reviews and was responsive to my questions. The price is right.

Moderator Edit: Auction #280059798544 EBAY

Al Garay
12-20-2006, 7:22 PM
sorry about the link...

It's on my list to buy right after Christmas. I've already done a lot of tool purchases as Birthday and Christmas gifts.