PDA

View Full Version : Strangest looking pen

Wayne Bitting
12-19-2006, 1:11 AM
This was supposed to be a pen for my wife’s boss but then as is usually the case, she changed her mind. I wasn’t ready for this project yet and it took me quite a long time to get it to work out. The lamp was sketched by my wife after she saw a picture of Jim’s confetti bowl and is 6” by 3” high and made out of box elder. I really like the surprises you get with box elder, but this one had a few cracks hidden in it as well as some really nasty spots (rot or mold). An odd thing happened when I was trying to stabilize the cracks and pukey wood with CA, the CA smoked, popped and fizzled when it touched the pukey spots and the fumes got to me. Never had that happen before. I bought this wood to use with the smaller lamps but I couldn’t find then locally and it was just by dumb luck while Christmas shopping that I stumbled on this lamp size. Sanded to MM3600, Danish oil and buffed. As always, any inputs for the next one?

p.s. – my wife decided that a pen would be nice for someone else, back into the shop I go -- but its after 1am and the alarm goes off in 4 hours….

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2006, 1:16 AM
Strange looking pen.....I'll bet it doesn't write too well but looks like it might double nicely as a confetti lamp! Well done Wayne!

John Hart
12-19-2006, 6:21 AM
Very nice Wayne. But does it write upside down? :confused:
Great wood too!:)

Mark Cothren
12-19-2006, 6:30 AM
Very nice lamp! I've had the same thing happen to me a few times when using CA. And those fumes will just about put you on your knees! So it's SOP for me now to always stand upwind (fan) of where I'm applying the CA.

Claude Arragon
12-19-2006, 6:39 AM
That is sure a pen for Hot mail :D
Lovely lamp!

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2006, 9:21 AM
Great looking wood and finish Wayne! Let your wife know that she did a really good job in the design!

Paul Engle
12-19-2006, 9:46 AM
Nice job Wayne, disquising a pen to look like a gorgeous confetti lamp, move over "Q".... :eek: ( insert Bond music here , you can hum if ya like)The "smoke" from the CA is violent reaction to the moisture in the wood, ya can't see it but boy golly it's happening , evidence by the " smoke" gas.

jeremy levine
12-19-2006, 9:51 AM
Great looking wood and finish , nice color in that pen

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2006, 10:14 AM
That is a beautiful lamp Wayne. I like the wood and finish.

John Miliunas
12-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Well done, Wayne! :) Hate to tell 'ya but, it'll never pass as a pen :rolleyes: but, who cares? Beautiful! :) :cool:

Scott Donley
12-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Wayne, hate to tell you this, if thats a pen you need a lot more practice :rolleyes: Now as a light, it looks great ! Nice job.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-20-2006, 7:46 AM
Wayne, pen or no, that is some beautiful Box Elder wood! Great job!:)

Keith Burns
12-20-2006, 8:15 AM
Great lamp Wayne! Love the wood, form and finish:) :)

Corey Hallagan
12-20-2006, 8:38 AM
Nice one Wayne, it looks great!

Corey