PDA

View Full Version : Starrett Square - Is it OK?

Robert Trotter
12-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi People I just got a new Starrett square from Lee Valley. I haven't used one before and maybe my expectations for this instrument are too high.

I would like to know what I should be expecting with the quality. Am I being too picky? I was hoping to use the square as a square but also as an accurate reference square to check my others.

When looking at the square's "body" along the edges, especially the main face for checking square or not. There are some small rough spots on the edge. They don't appear to effect the accuaracy but I haven't really checked that out yet. The face seems OK.

What I wanted to know is am I being too picky or should all the edges be smooth and crisp? I want know if I should say something to LV or not.

Robert

Joe Foggia
12-18-2006, 11:59 PM
I would have to say something to LV. A starret should be perfect. Joe

Gary Keedwell
12-18-2006, 11:59 PM
STarrett makes alot of different squares. What kind do you have? Combination? Solid?

Gary K.

Robert Trotter
12-19-2006, 3:12 AM
Its the combination square with the protractor and centre head.

I was thinkin that it should be perfect as well but how perfect is perfect is what I was wondering.

If say I run my finger along the edge of the body I can feel the dent. It's on the edge not the face.

Rob

Hoa Dinh
12-19-2006, 3:24 AM
Robert,

I'm not much help about the square. I've never bought a brand new Starrett so I don't know how perfect it should be. I have a Starrett set and a Mitutoyo square, all bought used from eBay thus cosmetic blemishes are expected.

Without examining it with one's eyes and hands, noone can say whether it's acceptable. I think even personally examining it, different people will have different opinions.

What I would like to say is that if you are not satisfied with it for any reason, don't keep it. It's your hard-earned money. You don't want later to kick yourself for settling for less. Just send it back to LV. They will make sure you're satisfied.

Mike Cutler
12-19-2006, 5:00 AM
Hi People I just got a new Starrett square from Lee Valley. I haven't used one before and maybe my expectations for this instrument are too high.

I would like to know what I should be expecting with the quality. Am I being too picky? I was hoping to use the square as a square but also as an accurate reference square to check my others.

When looking at the square's "body" along the edges, especially the main face for checking square or not. There are some small rough spots on the edge. They don't appear to effect the accuaracy but I haven't really checked that out yet. The face seems OK.

What I wanted to know is am I being too picky or should all the edges be smooth and crisp? I want know if I should say something to LV or not.

Robert

No Robert, you are not being picky. The amount of money that even a commercial grade Starrett set cost is high enough that there shouldn't be any casting defects, or dings and dents on the edges.
I might be able to accept some rough casting polishing issues, but not the dent that you describe.
I would call Lee Valley back, The blemish on the edge surface would drive me nuts doing layouts.

Robert Trotter
12-19-2006, 7:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I will contact LV and see what they say.

And Mike I suppose I agree with you otherwise I wouldn't be asking. I was just wondering if I am beeing to picky.

I ahve so far had great service from LV so I will contact them.

Once againb thanks everyone.

Robert

Thomas Walker
12-19-2006, 7:33 AM
Are you sure the dents aren't supposed to be there? Just guessing, but they sound like they might be reference point so you could accurately register a mark.

My Starrett combination square is one of my most revered tools.

Robert Trotter
12-19-2006, 7:47 AM
No they are definetly not registration points. They are small but as Mike said I think they would bug me. It's bugging me now I suppose.

Not having seen a lot of tools I have recently bought I am not sure of what the actual quality (as I percieve it) should be. I have read a lot about them and they are supposed to be precisions instruments so I suppose my ex-Englineering brain was thinking precision. But I thought I would ask as maybe my idea of precision is not everyone elses.

Robert

glenn bradley
12-19-2006, 9:15 AM
When I buy at HF I expect less than good quality, but I know that going in. With the Starrett name and prices, yes, it should look beautiful. Otherwise, save some money and get a good quality square without paying for the label. By that I don't mean Starretts aren't excellent but if they're not, there are options.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-19-2006, 9:49 AM
anywhere. ..................