PDA

View Full Version : OOPS! Nice recovery

Nancy Laird
12-18-2006, 10:26 PM
The pictures show an oak dresser built my LOML and his best friend. The OOPS came when they were preparing the side(end) panels. The were jointing the boards to be joined and discovered that they had removed too much material, making the panel narrower than they wanted. So...a few 1/2-inch strips of Brazilian cherry interspersed with the oak solved the problem. It's solid oak--no ply. Drawers are 9-ply "apple ply". It's 6 feet long and heavy as lead! Takes two burly men to move it without the drawers! Finished with J.E. Moser natural, sanding sealer and three coats of sprayed lacquer.

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Nancy

Ed Nelson978
12-18-2006, 10:31 PM
That's really nice. The "recovery" is excellent!

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Wow Nancy.!!!! That's pretty. Looks nice and heavy as well. ;)
Beautiful piece and a nice save on the end panels. :D

Robert Mahon
12-19-2006, 6:49 AM
As a relatively new Woodworker, I learned early-on that 1 of the secrets to making a nice job of it is to learn how to cover your mistakes.
Now that I've been at it for about 5 years, I've become quite expert at covering my mistakes.
Practice makes perfect.

Good job!

Karl Laustrup
12-19-2006, 7:13 AM
Good looking dresser Nancy. Great cover too. ;) :D

Karl

Dan Mages
12-19-2006, 7:40 AM
Its not if you cheat... its how well you do it. ;)

Nice save!

Dan

Bruce Page
12-19-2006, 9:30 AM
Nancy, that’s a very nice piece, very solid looking. The cherry adds a nice touch of class – I wouldn’t call it a opps at all!

Jim Becker
12-19-2006, 9:33 AM
Very creative recovery, Nancy. It's made the piece even more unique, too!

Ted Shrader
12-19-2006, 9:53 AM
Nancy -

A wise man told me once. "You can always tell a good "carpenter" by how well he covers his mistakes." How true!

That is a very nice piece.

Regards,
Ted

Al Willits
12-19-2006, 9:58 AM
Pretty impressive piece of furniture, can't tell there were any mistakes made, so I'd consider it a keeper..

Al

Nancy Laird
12-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone for your nice comments. David and Mike (the friend) do appreciate your kind words. The sentiment "You can always tell a good "carpenter" by how well he covers his mistakes" is one that hubby has drummed into me for years--and I think we do it pretty well.

The dresser is a Christmas gift for Mike's wife (although she already knows about it), and is the first of five or six pieces for their bedroom - dresser, chest, headboard, two night tables, and desk (I think). Now that they've done the cherry on the dresser, correcting the OOPS, he has to do the rest of the pieces the same way. She hasn't seen the actual dresser, just some pictures, but she really liked the stripe, and she's going to be blown away tonight when she sees the real thing.

Cheers, all!

Nancy

John Gregory
12-19-2006, 1:06 PM
The project looks great. Good job and good save. And like many have said, everyone faces fixing their "oops" And some times the fix makes the project every better or more unique.