PDA

View Full Version : Innovative or Messterpiece

Dan Barr
12-18-2006, 9:38 PM
Hello all, My name is Dan Barr and Im NEW! yee haa!

OK, i just joined Sawmill Creek and im thoroughly excited about picking your brains. Im about to build my own little woodworking shop in my two car garage once i get back from afghanistan. (i'm currently in afghanistan and will be returning in about two months. yee haa!!) Im hurting for space as i guess most people are.

here is my idea. its a table with an 8' x 4' sheet of plywood, 1" thick as the top with the different tools built into the table. im going to flush the tools with the table and each tool will have its own little table below it to mount the tools to. all tables will be constructed into the main table. im not sure if i want to mount the mortiser and make it flush or not.

im looking for feedback and more ideas. tell me what you think. will it work, is it FULLY functional? etc.

anyway, im glad i found this forum.

Dan

novice sawdust maker

I GOT THE PICTURE ATTACHED :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dan! Be sure to let us know when you get back from your deployment! We look forward to seeing photos of your messterpiece! Photos are required for an Official Gloat! Tyler Howell the official Photo Cop will be on you posting gloats without photos!

HEY TYLER...............WE GOT A LIVE ONE HERE! NO PHOTOS AND HE CLAIMS HE's IN AFGHANISTAN AND THAT'S WHY THERE IS NO PHOTOS. I GOT TO ADMIT TYLER THIS GUY HAS IMAGINATION!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

PS....thanks for you service!

Dan Barr
12-18-2006, 10:50 PM
alright,

here is my idea. its a table with an 8' x 4' sheet of plywood, 1" thick as the top with the different tools built into the table. im going to flush the tools with the table and each tool will have its own little table below it to mount the tools to. all tables will be constructed into the main table. im not sure if i want to mount the mortiser and make it flush or not.

im looking for feedback and more ideas. tell me what you think. will it work, is it FULLY functional? etc.

thanks,

dan

novice sawdust maker :D

Dan Drager
12-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Welcome Dan,

Get home safe and shoot us pics of the shop.

And most of all, thank you for doing what you do.

Tyler Howell
12-19-2006, 6:08 AM
Welcome Dan,
I see my well trained deputies are keeping you in line.
As chief of the picture police I just want to advise that "We like pictures":mad: :rolleyes: :D :D
Glad to have you on board.
Come home safe son.

Art Mulder
12-19-2006, 7:40 AM

im looking for feedback and more ideas. tell me what you think.

Last year there was an article on Fine Woodworkign magazine where this guy built a large central workstation in his shop, like a larger version of your sketch. he had a drill press, bandsaw, planer, and dust collector built into it. If you look it up, you might find some good ideas.

My concern with your plan is the jointer. Jointers need a big chunk of space behind them for clearance for the fence mechanism.

...art

ps: welcome to the creek.

Jim Becker
12-19-2006, 9:13 AM
Dan, welcome to the 'Creek and it will be great to welcome you "home" when you get your ride back from the other side of the world.

I share some of Art's concerns. The arrangement you propose would be fine if your projects tend to be small, but you'll possibly find it cumbersome when it comes to infeed/outfeed space as well as assembly considerations. Mobility may be a better choice in the long run as it's easy to reconfigure space when you need to. Even large shops benefit from having lesser used tools mobile and "out of the way" during times they are not needed.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-19-2006, 10:32 AM
I am unsure why you would do this. IT is like a DIY version of a Combo machine. requiring you to set up and break down individual stations when moving to another.

Dan Barr
12-19-2006, 11:39 AM
after more thinking, i will probably not use this idea. i'll just have to move the pieces.

dan