PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector

Marc Prudhomme
12-18-2006, 8:43 PM
Hi,
New to the forum.What is the best but least expensive dust collector system for woodworking machines.Just looking for one to move to each machine.
Marc

Dave Mcintire
12-18-2006, 8:49 PM
Redmond machinery in Atlanta had some 1 hp Jet machines they were selling for $139, including shipping a while age. I don't know if they still have them or not. I assume this was a closeout or something. I got one and it was fine for 1 machine and had wheels to move it around

Ted Baca
12-19-2006, 1:23 AM
Jet has a two stage unit that uses a filter and a trash can. With the availability of trash can casters I would think it would be a great filter and very mobile. I think they are about 250-275.oo take a look at WMHTools.com for the model. It is very low profile and 650 CFM that could handle any task.

Jim Becker
12-19-2006, 9:31 AM
Please remember that the CFM ratings of the type of machines being discussed is generally "free air" and not representative of real-life performance. Figure half of the listed rating just for grins...

The Jet "650 CFM" units are adequate as chip collectors for most woodworking tools when directly connected with a small hose. They will not, however, get all of the fine dust generated...not enough air flow. For a stand-alone unit, I'd still suggest the larger 120v 11-12" impeller machines as a starting point. The Jet DC1100 or equivalent with the better filtration methods would be an example of this class of machine.

Russ Massery
12-19-2006, 9:41 AM
As Jim pointed out. The 650 is a Chip collector NOT and dust collector. It doesn't move enough air to get the fine dust. Which is the most harmful. The 1100 would be a much better choice. IMHO.

Al Willits
12-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Might take a look at the JDS Dust Force, I liked the layout of that one better than the other portables, also look for sales on any of them, you can save a few bucks that way.

Al

"Jason Belous"
12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Have to agree with everyone else, recently purchased a 650 cfm and am completely unhappy with the performance of it, it is a jet and yes it will only collect chips, and will not even put a dent on the debri when hooked up to a jointer. Also leaves the tablesaw completely covered in dust. This is using an eight foot straight shot of hose. As they say go big or go home, 1 1/2 hoarse or bigger.

JayStPeter
12-19-2006, 1:05 PM
Another consideration is bags vs. cartridge filter. My personal experience with a bag filter is pretty negative. A cheap DC will collect the chips and keep the mess down. But, if you want the finer dust collected so you don't have dust settling everywhere, you have to spend a little more. IMO, bag filters are part of the problem with fine dust in the air and settling everywhere. 1.5HP and a cartridge filter would be my minimum DC setup for a single machine.

Travis Hirst
12-19-2006, 1:40 PM
I just purchased one from harbor frieght that's a 2hp that runs 1600 cfm. I could not be more impressed. I have it set up in one corner with 4 switched waste gates and it has all the pull power I could ever ask for. Best part is that I only paid $159.00 for it which is alot less than less powerful bigger name collectors. Jst my .02 worth.

Travis

Mark Patoka
12-19-2006, 2:18 PM
I have the Delta 50-760 DC which I've been very pleased with and move it from machine to machine. I also have the Jet AFS 1500 for the ambient air and between the two they do a pretty good job. About the only time I get fine dust settling around the shop is when I use the table saw with no overarm dust collection and my ROS since I don't have a downdraft table yet and haven't hooked it up to the shopvac.

I was able to get the Delta from Amazon for $250. Just need to look for the specials and online coupons that are offered.