PDA

View Full Version : My latest sawing,timberframing and furniture making adventure

Scott Banbury
12-18-2006, 4:15 PM
Submitted for your enjoyment and criticism . . .

http://www.scottbanbury.com/umai.html

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2006, 4:32 PM
Scott.............Incredible! I'm glad you and others with you skill level allow me to be a member of this site and enjoy the eye candy! Incredible!

Scott Banbury
12-18-2006, 4:48 PM
Thank you, Ken. I leaned from more than one mistake on this one ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-18-2006, 4:49 PM
Way cool work and lumber. Makes me want to take a trip to TN.

Nice logo too

Jim Becker
12-18-2006, 4:49 PM
That cedar on the bar and tables is extraordinary looking, Scott! And thanks for sharing the outstanding timber-framing on the porch. Nice job!

Bob Swenson
12-18-2006, 4:52 PM
Scott, Great Job.
Bob

Brian Lindenlaub
12-18-2006, 4:59 PM
Extraordinary. Thanks for sharing.

Dan Racette
12-18-2006, 5:03 PM
Great work. Looks like people are already enjoying the fruits of your labour.

dan

Mike Cutler
12-18-2006, 5:24 PM
Nice Work!!! Thanks for the photo essay. Very well done.

Someday, Yourself and the Swenson's are going to have hook up.
:cool: :cool:

Lou Morrissette
12-18-2006, 5:25 PM
Great looking work, Scott. The timber framing and bar work are outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Lou

lou sansone
12-18-2006, 6:21 PM
very nice frame. did you plane the timbers or leave them rough from the band mill

lou

Greg Hairston
12-18-2006, 7:24 PM
Great Work Scott. Good seeing you today also. I am going to have to visit the resturant to see your great work up close. Talk to you soon

Greg

Jesse Thornton
12-18-2006, 7:41 PM
Your work looks phenomenal. That incredible cedar makes me giddy about my upcoming move to Vancouver Island (from the bald prairies of Saskatchewan).
I'm very curious about that mitre in the bar top. Will the forces of shrinkage and expansion not pull or push it apart somewhat, even with the butterflies?
Just a-wonderin'...

Neil Lamens
12-18-2006, 8:03 PM
Now that's a COOL job!!!!!

Don Bullock
12-18-2006, 8:14 PM
You do fantastic work. That cedar bar and tables are beautiful.

Greg Pierce
12-18-2006, 8:55 PM
Scott,
I love the mix of Spalted Maple with the cedar. And the epoxy bar finish is nice. I wanted to try it on a mahogany bar I made for our house but chickened out. Used 9 coats of poly.

Love the timber frame.

Scott Banbury
12-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Cliff, please look me up if you're ever in town.

Lou, we left it roughsawn. I anticipate that it will keep its color inside and grey on the outside.

Greg, good to see you staying busy. Please stop by sometime soon and give me the scoop on our local woodyard ;-) I hope to see you up at Umai sometime.

Jesse, ERC doesn't move a whole lot and I'm hoping that the epoxy will be plastic enough to take what movement there is--we'll see.

Greg, I was scared to death of the epoxy but decide that it was the only finish that would take the wear on the soft wood. The epoxy was Kleercoat and I'd happily recommend it to anyone wanting this sort of finish.

Jerry Olexa
12-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Scott, extremely nice work and thanks for the pics!!

Dan Mages
12-19-2006, 7:46 AM
You make it look WAY too darn easy!! Nice work, especially with the bar top!!

Dan

Tyler Howell
12-19-2006, 8:20 AM
Scott,
Long time, miss your posts.
This is great, I like the fact that you are urban recycling.
Thanks for sharing

JD MacLeod
12-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Seriously, gorgeous work. Love the tables and the bar. David Rockwell's firm did the design of Nobu 57 here in Midtown NYC and they put a similar natural edge (walnut) bar in there. The grand entrance door is also a huge slab of walnut i believe. Here is an article ab it.

http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=1726

Bet there are quite a few city slickers here in NY that would be pretty darn surprised to find such beautiful work in Memphis. Truly exceptional, thanks for sharing with us. Beautiful places like that and the home of The King... i gotta get down to Memphis (reminds me that i haven't busted out "Elvis Christmas" yet this season). Happy Holidays!

Jim

Jerry Strojny
12-19-2006, 1:30 PM
Yowser! Great stuff man. Very cool.

Howie French
12-19-2006, 9:07 PM
Scott, very very Nice, I love the frame and bar top.
Someday I would love to be able to mill my own wood.
thanks for taking the time to share.

Howie

Scott Banbury
12-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Thganks for the link, Jim. If you're ever in town, please look me up.

Seriously, gorgeous work. Love the tables and the bar. David Rockwell's firm did the design of Nobu 57 here in Midtown NYC and they put a similar natural edge (walnut) bar in there. The grand entrance door is also a huge slab of walnut i believe. Here is an article ab it.

http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=1726

Bet there are quite a few city slickers here in NY that would be pretty darn surprised to find such beautiful work in Memphis. Truly exceptional, thanks for sharing with us. Beautiful places like that and the home of The King... i gotta get down to Memphis (reminds me that i haven't busted out "Elvis Christmas" yet this season). Happy Holidays!

Jim

Barry Beech
12-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Beautiful work Scott. I will put Umai on the list to try. I also need to hook up with you sometime, that is once I can get started on another project.