PDA

View Full Version : Glass Coffee cups

Todd Schwartz
12-18-2006, 2:58 PM
Anyone try to engrave a glass coffee mug? I have a friend (isn't that always the case) the has found some glass coffee cups he would like his company's logo engraved on the side.

My question is will the glass stand up to the heat of the coffee after it has been engraved. I have heard mixed results on the proper care and feeding of engraved glass items and exposing them to high heat.

These are a low lead (cheap) coffee cups that are glass, not ceramic. He is bringing a couple sample/test ones by later today.

Todd

Phyllis Meyer
12-18-2006, 3:35 PM
Hi Todd,

I have lasered the glass mugs from Walmart. They also have some blue and green ones. I have not had anyone call back. I would also like to know if others do mugs, glasswear...? Good luck!

Sincerely,

Phyllis:)

Mike Null
12-18-2006, 4:38 PM
I have done a considerable number of glass items from Mason jars to mugs to picture frame glass. All of it can be engraved with your laser. If the glass is thin be sure that the speed is fast enough and the power low enough that you don't break the glass.

I am not among those who believes laser engraving of glass gift items is satisfactory. Sand carving is infinitely superior but also much more expensive.

But if your customer is satisfied that is usually enough.

Keith Outten
12-18-2006, 4:56 PM
The lower the quality of the glass the better it will engrave.

Vicky Orsini
12-19-2006, 9:13 AM
I asked on another forum and was told that etching should not compromise the mug's ability to withstand heat. They should be OK in the dishwasher, too.

Nancy Laird
12-19-2006, 9:23 AM
We have lasered glass coffee mugs, glasses, vases - all with good results. We also have a sandblaster and blast the engraved areas before removing the mask; this makes for a cleaner image. The hardest part is the registry--making sure that the image is going to end up where you want it. We were told, and have found that the cheapest glass lasers the best. We buy glassware at Dollar Tree and get the mugs from a restaurant supplier.

Since you are removing only a small amount of glass from the outside of the vessel, there should be no compromise of the piece. Go for it!

Nancy

Leigh Costello
12-21-2006, 12:29 AM
We have sandblasted and lasered many pieces and nary a complaint - except from guests who use our less than perfect attempts when we share coffee etc. They always want to take our mistakes home with them, but then we would never have a cup or glass to drink from as every bit of our household glassware became our experiment pieces when we started out on this road of discovery. Our silverware have some very interesting features also. ;)

Phyllis Meyer
12-21-2006, 9:47 AM
Hi Leigh,

I hear you loud and clear about the mug and glass misfits...We too have had our share of "let's try this" experiements! Wine glasses and beer mugs with names and initials too low/high...and yes the folks that visit here want them. I have to go buy stuff to drink out of for Christmas because mysteriously all of ours in the cabinet have wound up in our laser?:) Have a great day everyone!

Sincerely,

Phyllis:)

Todd Schwartz
12-21-2006, 9:55 AM
Appreciate everyone's input - customer found some good "Irish" coffee cups at Bed, Bath and Beyond - cost about $2.00. They lasered great and they were small enough I was able to use the rotary attachment without the handle hitting. Just lasered low power, fast speed and and at 80% black. Have done a fair amount of glass this way with success.

I also ran across 4" x 4" "field tile" wall tiles at Home Depot. Came in copper, bronze and pewter. Lasered enough to take the top layer off, exposing the black underneath, added felt feet and presto - we had coasters. Would post pictures, but customer took them all. :)

Todd

Leigh Costello
12-22-2006, 7:19 PM
Just a funny to pass along...I went shopping this morning for some last minute Christmas supplies, and left my 17 yr old daughter home with a list of chores. Well, the chores were finished when I got home, as well as a very nice serving set - hand engraved with our name. She was afraid to try the laser by herself, so she got her hand engraver going. What a great daughter ( I wonder if she would consider doing this for customers, instead of "Mom" points!).

Merry Christmas!

Leigh

Karin Voorhis
12-22-2006, 8:38 PM
Appreciate everyone's input - customer found some good "Irish" coffee cups at Bed, Bath and Beyond - cost about $2.00. They lasered great and they were small enough I was able to use the rotary attachment without the handle hitting. Just lasered low power, fast speed and and at 80% black. Have done a fair amount of glass this way with success.

I also ran across 4" x 4" "field tile" wall tiles at Home Depot. Came in copper, bronze and pewter. Lasered enough to take the top layer off, exposing the black underneath, added felt feet and presto - we had coasters. Would post pictures, but customer took them all. :)

Todd

I am luaghingas I just finished a job for the MSF school I am a rider coach at and the mugs came fron there and I was just going to post this when I read your post.... They came out nice although my rotery gave me a hard time with the handle!!!!!!!! did up 25 or so of them all good..