PDA

View Full Version : Burl questions

JOHN VITOSKY
12-18-2006, 2:35 PM
I have been doing a lot of turnings for Christmas presents for family and friends and yesterday my wife surprised me with a burl. It is a Eucalyptis burl. I have never turned any burl before and frankly am a little nervous not wanting to mess it up. If you guys could give me someadvice on what to watch for , things to think about, any warnings?

David Fried
12-18-2006, 2:47 PM
Funny, just turned my first Eucalyptis burl this weekend.

Started by cutting the block in thirds and turning cylinders with tenons on them further turning. Went out the next day and realized the sawdust was glued to my roughing gouge and the gouge had turned black! Same for the tool rest - shavings welded to it and it turned black.

Both cleaned right up with a scrubby pad. I looked at the end of the blocks where the four prong center had held them and the wood had turned black where the steel had been in contact with it.

Hmmmmmmm....

Otherwise, seemed to turn nicely.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2006, 2:48 PM
John.........Big Congrats..........I'm waiting for BIll Grumbine, Travis Stinson, Jim Ketron, and those two Arky boys to give you some good advice!

Frank Kobilsek
12-18-2006, 3:04 PM
John, Your wife must love you very much.
Frank

John Hart
12-18-2006, 3:38 PM
John, Your wife must love you very much.
Frank

Yeah. I feel good if my wife doesn't yell at me about something every day.:o You get gifts? Of wood? :eek: Congratulations!:)

Is your Eucalyptus Burl wet or dry? The reason I ask, is because, if it is wet, it will dry extremely unevenly and you will end up with an extremely lumpy burl. Do you have a picture of it?

Sean Troy
12-18-2006, 5:05 PM
John, this is a perfect time for expanding your turning abilities. Don't be afraid of messing up the burl. If your going to be afraid of ruining a piece of wood, you'll never push your limits and get better as a turner. There is not a turner out there that doesn't ruin a piece once and a while no matter how long they have been turning. Thats just part of the growth process. Just jump in and start spinning that burl. It's just a piece of wood that can be replaced pretty darn easily. You'll do just fine.

Ron Sardo
12-18-2006, 5:35 PM
I have been doing a lot of turnings for Christmas presents for family and friends and yesterday my wife surprised me with a burl. It is a Eucalyptis burl. I have never turned any burl before and frankly am a little nervous not wanting to mess it up. If you guys could give me someadvice on what to watch for , things to think about, any warnings?
You'll be fine.
Just remember, it's only wood.
If it's green, treat like green wood.
If it's dry, work with it like dry wood.
Like any other turning, use sharp tools.

Obviously, because of the price, you would want to plan what type of form you want to make. We can't give you advice without knowing what the burl looks like. If you would like me to help you out on that just send it to me and I'll show you what shape I used.

Bill Grumbine
12-18-2006, 5:41 PM
John, I can tell you what I do with burls. I sit on them - not like a giant mother hen or anything, but rather, I let them sit in the shop, or in the barn, and I take them out and look at them from time to time, studying them, until I decide what I want to do with each one. Sometimes the answer comes quickly, and sometimes I end up turning a bone dry piece of wood. Sometimes it spalts before I get to it, which makes it harder to turn, but even more beautiful in a different sort of way.

Sean makes a good point. Don't be afraid of it. It is only wood, and this stuff grows on trees. You might make something beautiful and you might make firewood. Whether or not you ruin it on the lathe (how's that for positive thinking? :D ) is not the issue. The issue is, do you have a plan for it before you put it on the lathe?

What do you need to watch for? Bark inclusions are going to be the biggest challenge. Some burls are prone to bark inclusions, and some are not. I am not real familar with eucalyptus since it does not grow around here. Often the surface will give you clues as to what might lie beneath, but not always. Bark inclusions make for weak spots, and once exposed can change your plans for the piece. You may need to reorient it, or change the shape.

Other than that, the biggest decision you need to make, after deciding what you want it to be, is how to orient it on the lathe. Put it on one way and the rays that shoot through it are displayed as long shafts of curl. Reorient it 90 degrees and they will manifest themselves as eyes. It all depends on the look you would like to achieve. Sometimes that look will dictate what you want it to be. Will it be tall and thin, or short and squat? Will it be open or closed in its form? How do your skills to date influence what you like or want to turn?

I realize I may be asking more questions than giving answers, but this is the process I go through with every burl I get. Some are suited for open forms, some for closed. Some have large bark inclusions or voids, while others are relatively solid. All are an adventure, and if it does not work out, there is always more where that one came from.

Good luck with it.

Bill