PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Ideas/Designs

Eric Sabo
12-18-2006, 2:23 PM
I will preface my topic by saying hello, and introducing myself as basically a newbie with a few tools looking to expand his work area. I've yet to complete any post-worthy projects (a small box or two and a lot of practice jointery), but am slowly working my way into actually having a tiny bit of an idea on how stuff works. I've made a couple of posts here, but none really officially stating who I am. So here it is.

Now, my wonderful wife secretly cleaned out a storage room... or, what we had been using as a storage room for about 13 years, and presented it to me as an early Christmas present. So...

I need some opinions and/or ideas on Handtool Workshop layout ideas. I dont have any powertools besides handhelds and the only thing I envision ever getting is a bandsaw, which would probably be put in the garage where most of the wood is to be stored anyway.

The room is 9x12, roughly. With a door in one corner and on the same wall, approximately 5 feet, 2.75 inches away (molding to opening, no moulding on second opening) there is an under stair storage area. See attached photo for a more clear layout.

http://www.skyphix.com/forums/workshop/layoutexport.jpg (http://www.skyphix.com/forums/workshop/layoutexport.jpg)

For those of you that use SketchUp, I am providing the sketchup file as well.

http://www.skyphix.com/forums/workshop/workshoplayout.skp

Consider this a blank slate. It is cement walled and I have ideas of my own, but I'd like to get feedback without any swaying from my ideas. I have limited resources, but have enough crap around the house to get started on it, so fill away. No need to get detailed, just general placement... of course... the beauty is always in the details, so feel free if you like :)

If it makes a difference, I'm a pretty big guy, 6'3 and I've got a bad back, so I'm most comfortable working with things without bending over much (38" or so is what I've found to be a comfortable working height).

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Rob Bodenschatz
12-18-2006, 2:49 PM
No power tools? If you're gonna stick to that, why not just put a bench smack in the middle & cover the walls with tools/hardware. Put up french cleats so you could reorganize easily if you wish. Really, you need to look at what tools you currently have and what tools you think you WILL have. Pegboard may be a good option.

It looks like you have room for a second assembly table too if you like.

You didn't mention if the room has power to it but I would get a retractable power cord & hang it from the ceiling, close to the center. I have one in my current shop & I use it all the time. Pay attention to your lighting. Looks like there are no windows so you'll need to make sure you're good to your eyes. Even though I hate white walls (I'm in the minority there), I would do it in this situation to brighten things up.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure you'll get good advice here.

Zahid Naqvi
12-18-2006, 5:03 PM
if you are going to use a lot of handtools think about anti-fatigue mats, and possibly wooden floors (simple sheets of plywood surrounding your work bench). You'll thank me after you drop your first chisel. The height of the bench is probably going to be the most critical measurement you will make in the shop. I think Alan or someone else on this forum has an adjustable work bench that looked like a great option, albeit a little pricey.

Jim Becker
12-18-2006, 5:06 PM
IMHO, two benches. One for working joinery, etc. and one of adjustable height for assembly work. Ditto on the recommendation for mats...you shouldn't be depending on just your shoes to break the fall of your sharp edges... :D

Ken Bryant
12-18-2006, 5:25 PM
Personally I'd plan the bench along the rear wall, rather than in the middle. Having tried both, in a shop of similar width, I find the space left over on each side of a centered bench just too constrictive -- sometimes not even enough to swing a full-length hand saw without knocking my elbow. You can still use all that wall, above and below the bench, for tool storage.

For a space that small, instead of a full-time assembly table, I'd build a couple of sawbenches (Chris Schwartz style). After years of trying to do everything on my bench, I found using those lower benches for a bunch of stuff quite a revelation--chopping mortices, ripping lumber, etc. With a piece of plywood over the top, they would also make an assembly table. But they can also be cleared out of the way more easily than a full-size assembly table can.

One immovable bench on the back wall, two movable saw benches: there's your horizontal support, with room to move around.

John Goodridge
12-19-2006, 12:11 AM
If you have a bad back, the mats are essential, and not just to protect your chisels. It is amazing how much added cushioning for your back that 1/2" or so of rubber under your feet provides.

Bill Houghton
12-20-2006, 10:33 PM
has an article on setting up a pure handtool shop. You might google the magazine and look up the back issues. They're $8 each, but I remember it as a pretty good article. Interestingly, he argues for putting the bench against the wall - many argue for putting it in the middle of the room.

Your shop's about the size of mine - you can get quite a bit done in a shop that size, especially if you won't have any power tools in it.

Eric Sabo
12-22-2006, 10:17 PM
I apologize for the lack of a response - been a busy week and a half as I'm switching careers and jobs.

Those of you that mention dropping things on the floor MUST have spent some time with me in the shop. I am quite clumsy and tend to drop quite a few things. Needless to say, I've become quite familiar with sharpening. I like the idea of laying down a layer of plastic, then plywood.

I went down and remeasured the room, its actually closer to 10.5x15 or so, oddly sized since it is under what was an addition to connect the house in the garage just a few years after the house was built in 1960. Good news for me, though.

I do like the idea of having two benches - and maybe even more. Wood storage is in my garage, as there are already racks set up for that purpose (although, I may need to rethink that, as I have some severely warped and checked stickered maple).

I do have two benches down there that will act perfectly as assembly tables, one fits perfectly under the other so they are out of the way. All they need is a layer of hardboard on top.

I would love to put the bench in the middle of the room but I almost feel as though I would be cramped on any side of it if I were to do that. Just the size of the room makes me feel that way without a bench in the middle because I have a set of shelves and those tables on one wall. The shelves are coming down.

I was thinking of putting the bench between the two openings (which is actually 6 3/4+- instead of 5 3/4). There is already peg board covering that wall so hanging tools could easily go there. I was also thinking of putting my cabinets there, behind the bench. I can see how it may be a bit tough to reach things, but being tall and having a short ceiling (7ft), my reach will be pretty good regardless. The bench I am designing is between 24 and 28" deep. Instead of having a full wall of shelves as there is now, I was going to do a half wall against the log, blank wall in the diagram. The bottom half could be a counter top/cabinet or even a scroll saw table.

My wife has expressed interest in scroll sawing and using a bandsaw to create bandsaw boxes. I could use a bandsaw to resaw smallish boards... so that may end up in the room, but I am pushing for that to end up in our semi-insulated and heated garage. r

Thank you, all, for the input. After January 15th I am picking up the pace on the build up of the room and will post photos then. I will be sure to also get some anti-fatigue mats, despite the use of plywood, as I find that they do, indeed, extend my work time.

Thanks again,
Eric

Michael Pilla
12-23-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm working on a similar project right now. I'll be setting up "shop" in a small corner of a utility room. The area around my bench will be my shop in essence so I'm trying to squeeze out the most from every inch. I wanted as large a bench as possible but I also have need for storage.

The benchtop will be on some cabinetry, likely store-bought, but I will reinforce it accordingly to support the top. I'll be jammed into a corner but I'm not concerned about that. The benchtop is 8 feet long and my front vice is on the right because I'm a leftie. I may opt for a side vice instead of a front vice; I haven't decided yet. I'll also add dog holes to the top for versatility and to hold accessories such as plane stops. I will expose the ceiling joists so I can use the space in between for lumber storage. I'll add under-cabinet illumination to augment the room lighting. I don't really like pegboard but I think it's necessary in these types of situations. I can put it behind the bench and on the left wall. By painting the pegboard white it will help keep my workspace bright.

It will be a mostly handtools shop with a few carefully chosen (and modest) power tools. My small bandsaw will probably live on the floor under the vice and my drill press may just live on the bench. All routing is done outside with a portable router table. I'll be starting the project after the holidays and have been combing the web for more ideas to further refine it. Good luck with your project and happy holidays!

Michael

Eric Sabo
12-23-2006, 3:25 PM
Thank you Michael, and good luck with your project as well.

If I find any interesting and useful links I will post them here. Also, I'll post some completed designs for critique, if I can find the time.

thanks again, and everyone enjoy their holiday
Eric