PDA

View Full Version : Dog Breeds (Ever heard of a Kia?)

Doug Shepard
12-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Anybody here ever heard of a dog breed called a "Kia" or "Akia"? I thought maybe it was a mangled pronounciation of Akita, but if there's any Akita in this mutt, it's hiding really well. I've had new neighbors for maybe a week, and they graduated from "thinking about getting a dog" to "got a dog" within about an 8 hour span. Apparently a relative who knew they were thinking about it alerted them to an owner who wasn't taking the best care of a 5-month old female and wanted to give her to a good family. The owner told them it was a "Kia" mix, which I've never heard of. No luck with Google searches either except for a lot of owners who've named their dogs Kia or Akia. This girl looks like she'll top out around 40-45 Lbs when she stops growing. The coat looks like a short hair breed from a distance but is actually thicker and a bit longer that it looks. The coat texture and maybe the head shape (but not the head size) is about the only thing remotely resembling an Akita. This one has a very cool brindle pattern that looks like some mutant Tiger, or maybe a hyena. I've tried to take a few pics of her, but she's too amped up over having a fenced yard to run in instead of being tied up, and she just wont stand still long enough for pics.

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
No, never heard of that one. I guess it could be Akita, but maybe only a quarter. Both times bred to something smaller. I'll be interested to see a picture if you're able to get one. Jim.

Tim Morton
12-18-2006, 5:40 PM
I came up with "klee kai" as a possible name. Try image googling that...i saw lots of akita like dogs..

Doug Shepard
12-18-2006, 6:52 PM
I came up with "klee kai" as a possible name. Try image googling that...i saw lots of akita like dogs..

Hadn't heard of that one either. It's a neat looking breed but not much resemblance to the neighbor mutt. Hopefully she'll settle down a bit after some more time in her new home and I can get some pics. I'm thinking her coat coloring is coming from the unknown portion of her mix and might possibly be from an Australian Cattle Dog. I've seen some pretty extreme brindle patterns on some of those. The "Kia" portion though is a mystery and her body and head shape/size doesn't look much like a cattle dog. I'll attach some pics as soon as I can get her in my crosshairs.

Ken Garlock
12-18-2006, 7:58 PM
Doug, maybe it is an Akita (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/akita.htm).

Larry Klaaren
12-18-2006, 11:29 PM
The American Kennel Club "All Breeds" page is http://www.akc.org/breeds/breeds_h.cfm. There is a picture of every breed.

When I searched for Kia and Chia (just a thought that came to mind!) no results were returned.

If you can post a picture, it would really help. We assign descriptions to dogs for the humane societies all the time at the clinic. We often get dogs that have been assigned a breed description by private breeders that just don't work. I saw a dachsund/chihuahua cross the other day that looked exactly like a beagle. Guess it could be, but it was much larger than typical dogs of either of those breeds. I saw a beagle cross that looked like a German Shepherd not very long ago. The owners usually defend the breed description very vigorously, pointing out the shape of the ear or the eye or something like that.

Larry

Doug Shepard
12-19-2006, 9:37 PM
I didn't bother checking the AKC site. I know from past research there that they only have AKC registered breeds listed and not any of the exotic stuff. Seems like I tried looking up Jindo's (sp?) and Thai Ridgeback's there before with no luck. It's possible there may be something to my initial bet on a mispronounciation of Akita but if so, whatever got mixed in made her size significantly smaller than an Akita. But at least one of the pics on Kens Akita link has a somewhat similar brindle pattern. The little hussy still wont hold still for very good pics, but at least I finally got her in the frame long enough to snap something.

Doug Shepard
12-19-2006, 9:39 PM
Here's a couple more.

Jim Becker
12-19-2006, 9:58 PM
Beautiful dog, Doug!

Larry Klaaren
12-20-2006, 12:13 AM
That dog does defy description, but I bet it is a Kai Ken.

The AKC has a breed in the foundation stock service called the Kai Ken, that is colored as a black brindle, grey brindle, or red brindle. Here is the page to check out: http://www.akc.org/breeds/kai_ken/color_markings.cfm

Hey, speaking of Thai Ridgebacks, you might want to check this page out: http://www.akc.org/breeds/thai_ridgeback/index.cfm. It's a foundation stock breed at this time. There aren't enough to establish separate breeding lines, so it can't be a registerable breed at this time. It was recognized by the AKC in 1997. You can link from that page to breeders.

According to the AKC web page "The Foundation Stock Service (FSS); was created by the American Kennel Club to answer the needs of today's rare breed fanciers. The Foundation Stock Service is an optional record keeping service for all purebred breeds not currently registrable with the American Kennel Club." You'll find some rare breeds and some breeds like Rat Terrier and Coonhound in the foundation stock. There's a list of those breeds at http://www.akc.org/breeds/complete_breed_list.cfm. There's three lists there, "Registered", "Miscellaneous Class Breeds" and "Foundation Stock Service".

It's illegal to export Korean Jindo's from Korea, so the national kennel clubs in other countries refuse to set up a registry for them. I think it upsets the Koreans.

Larry

Jason King
12-20-2006, 12:54 AM
I would put my money on a Kai Ken. I have a pretty good interest in these types of animals as the LOML and I have adopted a shiba inu, another lesser known breed (but not as rare as the Kai Ken. Let us know if you find anything out for sure

Lee DeRaud
12-20-2006, 1:08 AM
Hmm...if it's a Kai, shouldn't the ears have come up by now?
http://www.kai-ken.org/

Doug Shepard
12-20-2006, 7:03 AM
That dog does defy description, but I bet it is a Kai Ken.

No pics on the AKC site but I Googled Kai Ken and I think you nailed it, although there might possibly be a bit of something else in there as well. The ears and tail aren't quite right but every thing else is spot-on. There's even a pic or two on this site http://www.kai-ken.org/ that look like they could be litter mates to Zoey. I'll have to alert her owner to some of the breed handling tips I saw while surfing. Looks like they're born hunters and will run off easily in search of stuff.

Mystery solved - Thanks guys.

Larry Klaaren
12-20-2006, 10:25 AM
I agree, I don't think it's a purebred. In your first post you mentioned that they thought it was a Kia mix. Guess they had slysdexia of the meromy. It was late last night and I didn't look at the pictures. Besides, the Bulls were putting the hurt on the Lakers at the time. If you look at the left hand side bar on that web page there are links for photos and for breeders and for breed history.

Shiba Inu is a great breed. There's more of them around lately.

BTW, I saw a Shitzu yesterday that looked like a large smooth haired rat terrier, except the hair was the color of a Golden Retriever.

Larry

Doug Shepard
01-06-2007, 5:03 PM
Well folks - I'm sad to report that my new neighbors have decided they can't keep their new dog. I'm baffled by people who think these are something you can take back like a pair of shoes that doesn't fit, but they've come to the conclusion that they're not home enough to take care of a dog. I'm not sure I'd disagree with that, but it's something that should have been factored into the decision before they got Zoey in the first place. China is going to be robbed of a great play pal, but there's just no way I can take on a 2nd dog. So if anyone in the SE Michigan area is looking for a great little dog, she's available for adoption (I assume just Free to a good home). One word of warning though - this dog is ALL puppy. Lots of energy and a lots of dog that small package. If you're interested PM me and I'll get in contact with her owners.