PDA

View Full Version : Beginners sticky??

Al Willits
12-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Just wondering, would a sticky somewhere for beginners, maybe eliminate some of the more repeated questions, and maybe make it easier for those of us who are just starting in woodworking?

Maybe not long discussions on how to do something, but basic stuff like tips, jigs, things a beginner should probably have/use, and?

Just a thought...:)

Al who shouldn't of had the second cup of coffee...:)

Jim Becker
12-18-2006, 12:04 PM
There are a number of them in the Support Forum. I suspect that there will be additional support of this type once the admins get the portal built and on-line.

John Miliunas
12-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Al, I totally agree with Jim B. on this. A portal to the site opens up many opportunities we don't otherwise visibly have. Even though the information is most often located "somewhere" at SMC, at times, finding it is indeed a chore. Let's see what "the boys" come up with for the portal first and we may be able to get more and easier modifications then. :) :cool:

Al Willits
12-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks, seems the Support section deals with mostly "how to" use the forum though, that's great, but I was thinking more how to do stuff in the shop.
I've found a great deal in the search section, but it can be a battle finding the right search words...least for me. :)

Gotta believe you guys are getting tired of, why is a 2x4 not 2x4? :D

I realize this would be more work for someone, so it may or may not be feasible.

Al

Jim Becker
12-18-2006, 2:14 PM
Are you thinking "tips and tricks", Al?

Tyler Howell
12-18-2006, 3:10 PM
Not quite as old (SMC Member) as my esteemed colleagues I'd say you see a lot of the same old question over and over again. The advantage is, it reminds me what it's like to be a noobee again and I'm refreshed on that skill. It also helps show how technology has changed and skill level has improved over the months. It's nice to see some of the newer members that asked the same question months ago have now taken over as authority on the subject.

You don't want to eliminate too many of the learning steps from the process.
Knowing human nature as it is, no matter what instructions, stickies, or portals give.
Noobeez are going to ask the same old questions:rolleyes: .

As I tell my students. The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

Al Willits
12-18-2006, 3:32 PM
""""""
Are you thinking "tips and tricks", Al?
""""""""

Not sure what I'm thinking Jim, but I think your close...:)

Not so much a in depth how to section, but maybe maybe some stuff us newbs can use to get started, like maybe a couple of basic blades for the saws, cutting plywood face up for TS and face down for CS, things we are gonna need, or be nice to have, how to cut a square piece of lumber, doing basic set up on equipt, things like that??

Maybe not getting to far into it, just keeping it kinda basic, then the newbie or forgetful old fart can post for more details.

Al...any of this make sense?? :D

Rob Bodenschatz
12-18-2006, 3:41 PM
Al is looking for an FAQ. Not the FAQ that tells you how to use the site. An FAQ about woodworking. Like this: http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/

Right Al?

Andy Hoyt
12-18-2006, 3:54 PM
Maybe it's time to start enhancing the Articles and Reviews branch of the creek.

Al Willits
12-18-2006, 4:45 PM
I think Rob comes pretty close, there's a bunch of stuff that looks like what I'm thinking of on that site.

Just basic stuff that us newbie's and ? would find interesting, basic down to earth things like, Atom smashers, can they plane as well as a helix cutter, or will they leave snipe....?
Things we all want to know.

sorry....:D

Al