PDA

View Full Version : Next Plane/Tool Purchase

Michael Gabbay
12-18-2006, 11:01 AM
I like to make one or two plane purchases a year to build up my collection. Well, it's that time. Also, an unexpected check from work showed up and the LOML has given me the green light to get something nice for myself. I've been working 50 -60 hours weeks since the first of August.

So here's my list of possible choices, and they are LN biased:

#7 - This will be an upgrade to my current #7, very old Stanley. I like having the bedrock design so I can easily adjust the frog. I use it to flatten tops after glue ups and edges prior to glue ups. Not so much for initial stock prep.

Scraper plane - either the large or small. I never liked working with card scrapers that much. I do run into a fair amount of figured wood to need one.

Chisel plane - clean up inside corners for frames and such.

Small matched rabbit planes to trim the walls of dados. Seems like this would be useful.

In my collection today:

#4 1/2 LN
#60 1/2 R LN
Large Shoulder LN
LA Jack LN with extra blade for figured wood
#7 Stanley (maybe a type 7 or earlier)
# 5 Stanely
# 4 Stanley
Cabinet scraper LV
Various Chisels - LN, Marples etc.

Robert Tarr
12-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Michael,

I have most of the tools you listed there, with the exception of the LN #7 (I have an old stanley as well.)

I have the 98 and 99 on the Christmas list for Santa, this year also. I find that I keep testing/playing with them at every demo. I see how they could be very useful. I also have been toying around with the idea of upgrading the #7, but I won't do that until I have filled in the rest of the gaps.

I have the 85 scraper plane and like it quite a lot. Great for larger flat surfaces. If I were going to go with a card scraper based plane, I would probably look at the LV version. Seems to be more adjustable. I really like the LN card scrapers though..they hold an edge for a long time and at $15 a pretty decent deal...I don't use my others anymore.

The chisel plane is very rarely used...is does a great job for veneer removal, should repairs be needed, but one of those tools that could just as well have been a replacement iron for of LN or LV BU planes (thick steel) laid on it's back and tapped with a brass mallet, or a chisel....

Not on your list, but one of my favorites, it the #140 skew block plane...one of those planes that the more I use it, the more I like it. I am also going to pick up the little convex sole tailed block plane.

Good luck and have fun with the unexpected gift!

Robert

Gerry Musson
12-19-2006, 6:52 PM
I would second the suggestion of a No 140 skew block plane , very useful. If your doing any prep of rough stock I would consider a scrub plane.

Michael Gabbay
12-19-2006, 7:17 PM
Robert / Gary - The 140 is an interesting choice. I don't think I'll be doing much prep work by hand. I have to balance getting my projects complete with the limited time in the shop.

Ken Bryant
12-19-2006, 9:18 PM
I have an LN chisel plane, and there definitely are jobs for which nothing is better. The most recent application was trimming nibbed scarphs (for a boat stem), where a surface has to be very flat right up to a "cliff" that prevents most planes from getting right to the end.

Frank Bessette
12-20-2006, 2:09 PM
Greetings,

I have and really like the LN #8.
The 164 is a great plane.
98 & 99 side rabbet plane looks interesting—on my list.
I use my LN #4 HAF the most.
The LN edge plane is very handy.

Let un know what you decide.

Merry Christmas

Best…

Frank

David Marcus Brown
12-21-2006, 7:37 AM
With your work in figured woods, you'd love the 112.