PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Tis the season to be "busy". I hope that each of you have all your Christmas shopping done and are mostly done with your present wrapping.

The kids and I went shopping for "momma" last night, got her presents wrapped and under the tree. It's hard to be sneaky when momma is all knowing and has eyes everywhere!!! Sheesh!!!! Can't we surprise her for just "one" time? I think we have the plan devised. :rolleyes: :D

All of my shop made Christmas presents are finished and some have been delivered while others are waiting for family to show up so they can be given. It's GREAT having all that done several days BEFORE Christmas. Ya know, I tell the LOML every year that we're going to start making gifts for the following Christmas as soon as this one goes past....but we never do.:rolleyes:

Anyway, to the shop stuff.....I'm still working on the computer desk. But at least it's the black lacquer finish I'm working on. What a "DEAL" this black lacquer finish is turning out to be. Thanks to fellow woodworkers, Jim Becker, Tod Evans, and Jim Hagar, I've been able to make significant progress on this finish. If all goes well, I'm hoping to have the finish done by the end of this week. Woo-Hoo!!!!!:D

Church was on Sunday, did not play this Sunday. Spent lots of time with the family and enjoyed shopping for the LOML with the kids.

Merry Christmas to you ALL!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Turned a little......got some free wood.

Tom Henry
12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
I spent most of my weekend working on my daughters gift, a armoire for her American Girl Doll. :D Finished up the case work on Friday, did the doors and the drawer fronts on Sat, and put some time in on some sanding on Sunday. Very busy.

Tyler Howell
12-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi Dennis,
Good weekend,
Moved some duplicate tools up to the new pace. The challenge begins
That old RAS, TS, and DC that wouldn't move at the garage sale will come in handy for a while:D .
My buddy Harley and I did a lot of bumpin in the woods.
I hated to come back to the cities.
Have a safe week.

Paul Douglass
12-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Worked with my wife on finishing a shadow box I made to put her father's presentation flag and military medal, insignias, and badges in. I will be a Christmas gift for her mother. I read the box "Band of Brothers" and than got the DVD series and watched it. That is what inspired me to do it My F-I-L was a WWII veteran.

P.S. Tyler, my son just got a buddy named Harley. He will bring it back with him from Japan. He tells us more about his buddy Harley than his family when he e-Mails..

Art Mulder
12-18-2006, 11:06 AM
So what did YOU do this weekend?

1- killed my furnace. :( It has been acting up, and I was trying to give it a bit of a cleaning/check and evidently my handling it was enough to push the spark/ignition unit over the edge from "sometimes" lighting the pilot to "never".

Oh well, at least now I know. And the fall rush is over, so I should be able to get a new one installed in a couple days.

2- discovered that at least 200 other people (judging by the parking lot) are nuts enough to go to Walmart at 7:45am to do Christmas shopping on a Saturday morning in December. Oh well, sure beat doing it at 2pm. (shudder)

3- worked on another sword + shield prop for the church play

4- sang in the choir on Sunday morning.

Ta!
...art

Doug Shepard
12-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Got almost all of my Christmas shopping done and as the weather was real nice, spent some time playing with China and her new 5-month old pup friend of some new neighbors. Did manage to get the wiring on my DC Bin Level Sensor hooked up and working though. Just need to neaten a few things up with cable ties before taking any pics.

Nancy Laird
12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Worked on an order of 27 desk name plates for a customer, made five more name plates for gifts, turned 18 new pens, made an order of name tags, filled an order for a p&p set and lasered box, helped frame two pieces of stained glass, helped set up and play with the new Steel City planer, finished Christmas cards, ordered Dad's Christmas gift, visited with an elderly friend on Sunday night, and worked my a$$ off. I'm glad to be back in my day-job office just to get a little down time! Still have to finish up gifts for family and get them to FedUP for shipping. Whew! I need the down time that is going to come after Christmas--a full week off!!!

Nancy

Mark Pruitt
12-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Saturday started off with a lathe-related "issue" which Andy H. helped me to resolve. I completed a bowl from cherry on Saturday and one from ambrosia maple on Sunday. Both awaiting Beall buffing, they're presents for my MIL and my parents.

Hank Knight
12-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I finally got back to my 1950s Walker Turner drill press project this weekend. I finished cleaning 50 year's worth of gunk out of the machine, stripped the paint off and got the primer coat on. I Should be able to finish painting and get it up an running over the Holidays. I got it from the Government Surplus Property Facility at the Savannah River Plant. I believe it was one of the original pieces of equipment at Savannah River dating back to 1951 when the facility first opened. I haven't checked it out with a Geiger counter, but at least it doesn't glow in the dark. :rolleyes:

Happy Holidays to all,

Hank

Jim Becker
12-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Ah, the weekend. Saturday morning was Alesya's dance class including "parental observation" and a holiday party followed by "lunch" at Mickey D's on the way to Nastia's Karate class. (the girls insisted that both parental-units attend both events...) So by about 2pm, I finally got into the shop to continue working on my Cherry Vanity Project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45792&page=6). That continued on Sunday morning after donuts and latté. After getting the pulls dealt with on the vanity I started some much needed shop cleaning, filling the kindling bins and restacking some cherry back into the rack. I also realized that the cyclone wasn't performing up to snuff and found out that I did, in fact, get a bit of material in the filter when I accidentally over-filled the bin a couple weeks ago when milling up the cherry for the vanity. Nasty job, but it sure is working right now! Later in the day was time to get myself cleaned up for "family dinner" out and "family movie"...Polar Express this week. Nice story. Nastia cried at the end...hopefully because she learned something about friendship and doing the right thing.

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2006, 11:34 AM
After working a half day Sat., LOML and I went to our friends house so I could work on the garage door. Idea was to screw plywood on the inside to stabilize it. Well, it was a good idea!! Just didn't work. Door section too far gone. Pulled it off and used the plywood to secure the opening. Got some supplies and built a replacement door section Sunday. It's glued, screwed, and clamped together to dry. Will sand some on it, mount the hardware and hopefully go out Sat and install befor we head out to Oklahoma for Christmas. Also got to put up some "baseboard" in about 60% of the shop. Hopefully I'll get some time this week to finish that up. Jim.

Dan Gill
12-18-2006, 11:41 AM
I finished up and shipped a big bunch of Texas-themed cutting boards. Glad to have those out the door. Then I spent some time cleaning my shop/garage. I have to organize my cut-offs better, and I'm working at getting that done.

Larry Fox
12-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Fairly busy weekend again for me. Saturday I took advantage of the nice warm weather to spray some finish on some miscellaneous pieces. Did a glue-up that I had benn stressed about and avoided for a week or so. Came off very well actually so I am happy to have that behind me. Went to a birthday party and made some jigs (I shudder as I type this as I don't like making jigs).

Sunday, finished my spraying, got the christmas tree, spent some time in the woods with my son cleaning some deadfall, painted the ceiling in kitchen and ajoining rooms so it would match. Oh, also watched the Eagles put it to the Giants in the 4th quarter.

Rod Torgeson
12-18-2006, 12:06 PM
I finished up the TV stand for my new 50 " plasma TV. The torsion box part that the TV sits on is 4 " thick and has four 2 x 4s milled to fit between two shelves of 3/4 inch plywood. That ought to hold it. This is a picture before I put the stain on it which is Watco medium walnut(not too dark and not too light). After it dries(72 hours) I will put 3 coats of satin poly on it. Got all the Christmas cards sent out. I am ready for Christmas. Going to California for the Holidays.

Chip Olson
12-18-2006, 1:08 PM
Took Friday off (due to needing to burn vacation time before the end of the year) and spent the afternoon sanding doors. That done, I got started on finishing and got BLO applied to about a third of them.

Made homemade bagels for a friend's potluck brunch birthday party Sunday. That was fun; I need to do more baking. Be easier once I have a real kitchen, of course. Also got the Christmas prezzies wrapped. My 3-year-old niece is getting a circular saw (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Pretend+Play+%26+Dress+Up&pid=05220961000&vertical=TOYS&subcat=My+First+Craftsman&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes"). :-)

Finished the BLO that afternoon. Next is several coats of USL, which I'm hoping to get to sometime this week.

Al Willits
12-18-2006, 1:20 PM
I am continuning to discover, everything you can do wrong in a wood shop or.... Murphy, he may not be a friend, but he's always there.....:)

Did get the Kerg pocket hole set up the wife bought me mounted on a board and hung up so I remember I have one...after that its debatable as to how much progress I made this weekend.
Discovered how to remove the pully off my TS while laying on the cold concrete floor, how to make wedges out of resonably square boards on the jointer, how not to put a bowed board in the TS sled and no matter how many times you cut it, a out of square piece of plywood will stay out of square by using the TS fence....use the sled dummy...did I say I was cold???

Other than that, had a good weekend....:D

Al

Matt Meiser
12-18-2006, 1:33 PM
No woodworking for me. Got home from our Disney vacation late Saturday night. Sunday ran errrands to restock groceries, got unpacked, etc, then spent a couple hours in the shop welding up a stand for my new plasma cutter.

Dan Forman
12-18-2006, 1:37 PM
Nearly finished my overhead blade guard with DC, should be able to complete it today. I started a thread with pics, should be rattling around the site somewhere.

Dan

Jim Hager
12-18-2006, 1:39 PM
I built a set of hickory rp doors for a customer building a new house. I haven't done any hickory before and I found out just how difficult they are to get done. Any way I got all 34 done working all day Saturday and Sunday until about 2:00. The customer is coming from about an hour and a half away to pick them up on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Other than that me and the LOML went shopping Sunday afternoon.

Dennis, when are you gonna put up some pics of that computer desk assembled????

Fred Voorhees
12-18-2006, 5:03 PM
Moved and stacked what remained of the split firewood that I have had further back in my yard for two or three years. It is now staged for the its "final destination". In the shop, I milled up some MDF stickers for a nice amount of free wood that I acquired on the job recently. It came in the form of oak (red and white), poplar, maple and what looks like some hickory. All in roughly 3.5" X 3.5" X roughly 3' lengths. Some of it will simply become firewood after closer examination, however, I did come up with some fantastic quarter sawn oak, some nice straight grained oak and even some quilted maple stock after resawing. Have it stacked and with fans blowing on it to help bring the moisture content down

Got some more Christmas shopping done Saturday night for my God-daughter, as well as picking up a country CD for myself before the LOML and I went and dined on some chinese quisine (sp?). Sunday found me spending a nice amount of time in the shop with a last minute idea for a gift for my wife. She loves feeding the wild birds that inhabit our yard and has been doing it for years. One of the gifts this year for Christmas is a bird bath that will go nicely with the feeding area. I have had some second grade cedar laying around the shop for years, waiting for me to do something with it. My mother has a bunch of bird houses mounted up at her home with many birds using them. My wife likes that, so I looked up some plans on the internet and whipped out six on Sunday in the shop with the cedar. They will go nicely with the bird bath.

Don Bullock
12-18-2006, 8:10 PM
My wife added two more projects to my already endless list.

I did restore the finish on an antique wood "journeyman" (I think that's what they are called) chest for my fine tools. It really looks good. Now, if only I can find time to give it a coat of wax.

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2006, 8:13 PM
Dennis, when are you gonna put up some pics of that computer desk assembled????

As soon as I get a nice enough finish on this thang!!!!! Still waiting for a delivery of the HVLP replacement. :D

Kristian Wild
12-18-2006, 8:54 PM
Spent Saturday falling and bucking up four big pine trees that were damaged or knocked down on our condo's property from a big wind storm last monday. Then while walking the dog I found a very figured western big-leaf maple log on the beach. That took me about an hour to cut and wrestle it across 50 yards of beach wood debris. It lowered my little Subaru considerably once I finally got it inside. I think it's around 300lb. My back and elbows should be aching until at least Wednesday... Hey,you can see the beach just behind my helmet in my avatar!

Jim Hager
12-18-2006, 9:03 PM
As soon as I get a nice enough finish on this thang!!!!! Still waiting for a delivery of the HVLP replacement. :D

You should have titled that post as a GLOAT!!!!!!!! Maybe a stealth gloat. Congrats and what kind did you get?????