PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
11-10-2003, 9:05 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone and I go back oncall duty today. I got very little shop time this weekend but the CD cabinet is getting close and closer to final assembly.

One thing that struck me this weekend is that many of us, me included, don't venture out and reach for our dreams or tackle that challenging project or start our own business or "insert you choice here" due to our lack of confidence in ourselves or fear of failure. We can apply this to many areas of our lives as we often fail ourselve since we often times don't take the step "out" and try. I find that in my own life, I often fail because of:

1. Fear
2. Lack of Confidence
3. Failure to even try
and this list could go on and on.

Many times we believe that we "can't do that" before we even try to "do that". Am I alone in this repeating cycle of life? Don't any of you ever think that you want to do something meaningful with your skills and don't due to lack of "something" within yourselves?

Oh well.....so what are your thoughts? What did you do this weekend?

Best of weeks.....

Keith Starosta
11-10-2003, 9:27 AM
First of all, Dennis, you aren't alone in those feeling for the most part. I for one have often felt the same way with this woodworking stuff. I've been reading and trying to learn as much as possible over the past year, but have yet to make the big LEAP to do something with it, for pretty much the same reasons. The same can be said regarding my "real" job...the one that pays the bills. I gotta do something about that...

As far as the weekend, I actually started to clean out the shop/garage this weekend. After Hurricane Isabel flooded my basement, whatever didn't get thrown away ended up in the shop, and I haven't had a chance to get back in there since. Having my MIL and a few of my wife's aunts in for the weekend afforded me the opprotunity to turn it back into a workshop. Now, it's ready for me to start working on my first cutting board......hopefully!

Keith

Tyler Howell
11-10-2003, 9:35 AM
Gentlemen,
A little too heavy for this early on Monday morning but effective.
I'm going to go out and give it another shot even though I'd rather get back in bed.

Thanks

Tyler

Jim Becker
11-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Firstly, I think you make an important observation. The best solution that I can think of is to insure that every project has something new and challenging to it...plan the challenge from the start! It's the best way to learn and you will be surprised at how many successes you'll have relative to a very small number of disappointments. Just dive in! Lumber is cheap compared to the experience you gain in working with it.

As to the weekend...the only woodworking was jointing and planing a single short board to test out the new machine. Otherwise, I was "rearranging" (and deep cleaning) the shop to accommodate "spatial realities" so I didn't lose space for finishing and assembly. The TS had to be shifted 90º and the lathe moved to a completely different location...along with all the accoutrement's, such as lighting, dust collection and compressed air.

Jason Roehl
11-10-2003, 10:19 AM
My thought, Dennis, is that it doesn't have to be an "either-or" situation. My personality has definitely mellowed from my "caution to the wind" teenage years, and now I approach most things thinking about what might go wrong instead of jumping in and doing it. So I guess I'm with you in that boat. But, what I KNOW is that no one can go from inflexible to the stretching ability of an Olympic gymnast overnight. You would have to stretch yourself bit by bit, but consistently. I think most people, if they tested their boundaries would find that those boundaries are like the invisible fences for dogs---we can't see them, but we think they are there, so we don't venture out. Well, those fences are only in our minds. For whatever reason, we have trained ourselves to believe they are there.

As it applies to woodworking, I think you have to start simple and work your way up. No one is going to start out making a museum-quality Chippendale Highboy. You've already shown how you can "step out"--I remember the dining room table you've shown us. Those breadboard ends are quite a skill in and of themselves, yet you took the plunge. Sure, you may have had some help, but I'll bet now they're in your repertoire and you wouldn't hesitate to do them again if you built another table. Just keep at it, Dennis. Listen to your voice of caution, but don't let it run the show.

I'd better quit before I turn into a philosopher here.... :D

Bob Lasley
11-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Mornin' Dennis,

That's a pretty heavy load to have on your mind all weekend! Most of us could fly alot higher and farther if we would just stretch our wings and try. As has often been said, that first step is the hardest. I agree with Jim regarding each new ww project having at least one new challenge. That is usually part of the design process with any project I am tackling, though not always. I sometimes make things harder than they need to be just to try something new. I hate to build something twice! That being said, my Xmas projects have a fair amout of repetition.

Speaking of Xmas projects, I finished up a couple of them this weekend and worked on applying finish to others. Also, designed a toolchest that I am going to build for my son's present. I am looking forward to that one.

Lighten up Dennis and have a great week everyone,
Bob

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2003, 10:49 AM
from most of us. They have the balls to go out on a idea and risk it all. You can take baby steps though and help reduce the risks. That's just what my plans are for the upcoming year. Make a real effort to get my business off of the ground.

Anyway,

I ran around a lot this weekend. Almost pulled the trigger on a new grill, but decided to wait a few days. My company is in the midst of another reorg, my level is suppose to find out this week if we do or do not have jobs. Since I went through this in 2001, I really prefer to skip this round as I have been there and done that, burnt the t-shirt. Took me 5 months last time to find a job, but keeps getting tougher.

I did get a little shop time in around football games, Go Chiefs 9-0. You know some times I think my brain just doesn't work. The other night I was working on some lap joints for drawer fronts and frames. I thought I would try another joint versus miters, M&T's, etc. Anyway, I cut most of them fine, except for one pair of rails. Cut them backwards. Well, yesterday I got to correct the problem. Guess what, cut them backwards again. Took me two tries to get them right. I guess some times things just trick you or something. Anyway, they are done. Now I get to sand them all up and drill for the European hinges. I also started laying out the dividers for the DVDs and VCR tapes.

I ordered my hardware from WW Hardware, never used them before and I can say they were great. Excellent pries and extremely fast delivery. I will be using them again in the future.

Dave Anderson NH
11-10-2003, 11:58 AM
First of all Dennis, you are right. Fear of trying or the unknown can scuttle many a project or idea. My approach to learning new skills takes some of the danger and apprehension out of the process. Since there is always a need for new storage in the shop I test out and try new constructions and techniques on shop "furniture". I usually use poplar or pine or cutoffs left over from another project to minimize material expenses. I just do my best and view the project as a learning experience. If it doesn't turn out perfect there is no harm since it will still be servicable and it's only for the shop anyway. The end result is a new skillset AND a shop need fulfilled.

Now about the weekend. I completed laying the 3/4" red oak prefinished hardwood floors on all of the first floor of the house mid afternoon on Saturday. It came out pretty well and Sue is quite pleased at my completing something she has wanted for a few years. I figure this will keep me in brownie points for a year or so. The hardwood definately looks better than the old wall to wall carpet and vinyl kitchen floor it replaced. Hint for anyone interested in doing this themselves-- lay in a good supply of Advil for your back. Sunday I cleaned up the shop and made a good dent in stacking the 2 cords of firewood I had delivered during the week. It was good to go back to work today to rest up a bit.

Kurt Aebi
11-10-2003, 1:15 PM
Well Dennis,
I actually went out to the shop and continued on my bush covers I was making before the TS accident( sore thumb and all!!) Felt real good about getting some work done, instead of sitting around waiting for the pounding to subside - popped a bunch of ibuprofin and went at it. It was too cold here in VT to stain them though.
I often wonder if it is fear of the unknown that keeps us from trying or comfort at our day job that keeps us from venturing out on our own. I know that for me, woodworking is fun and if I started doing it for a living, the fun would soon wear thin. I design electronics all day and when I have an electrical job to do in my off-hours, it is not fun - it seems tedious and boring. I aslo do taxidermy, but do only a few items each year as to keep it at a fun level. Maybe when I retire, I may do more of both hobbies to supplement my income, but I will wait until then.

Keep thinking positive thoughts and positive things WILL happen.

Take Care, Dennis and Happy Woodworking to All

Kurt

John Miliunas
11-10-2003, 1:17 PM
Ended up going to the old place Sat. morning and loading up a bunch of St. Vinny stuff, then helped a friend move some "antique" pieces to his place, as well as "grab" a couple BIG chunks of granite he had. LOML wants one of them for the fireplace. (Un)fortunely, he has, what looks like might be enough, for *all* the counters in our kitchen! LOML has now decided that's what she wants when we get that far. (Grunt!) Then helped my other friend move my old Delta TS to his place, plus move a bunch of REAL heavy benches in his shop to help accomodate the TS. Did some plumbing stuff, re-ran cable for the TV in the living room, got some basement utility stuff done AND, finally got all of my clamps situated and put away! The shop is kinda' starting to take shape...Have a great week, all! :cool: