PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Stand

Bill Kay
12-17-2006, 8:07 PM
My son asked me if I could make a stand for his new guitar.

This is what I came up with. Maple, Cherry, Birch and Walnut. The neck support is adjustable and secured with a wedge block.

I still have to add the felt in the neck support as well as the base saddle.

I like it .... Hope he does.

Critiques welcome.

Regards,

scott spencer
12-17-2006, 8:31 PM
Cool project Bill...there's one or two of those on my "to-do" list. Had to break down and buy one last night for the time being though.

...hangs head in shame... :o

Andrew Shaber
12-18-2006, 12:44 PM
make sure you put felt on the front of the neck saddle so you don't scratch the neck when setting the guitar in.

john whittaker
12-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Cool design Bill...

I've been searching for guitar stand designs and have not seen anything like this. It it your design? I'm sure your son will love it. Not only is it a unique design but it is also very well made. A lot of intricate work in there....

FWIW you could always use cork instead of felt. I like to looks of cork and it offers good protection.

Very Well Done

Aaron Koehl
12-18-2006, 1:11 PM
Bill,

Nice job! Have you set the guitar in it yet to check its stability?

Bill Kay
12-23-2006, 8:06 AM
Hi, I finished the stand today. I added the felt in all of the critical areas and shined it up. John ..... It is my design from start to finish. Thanks for the suggestion regarding cork. I used felt because I had it laying around. Aaron ..... I designed around the stability issue by using aft sweep on the support. The guitar lays back at a 15 degree angle which puts the center of gravity over the base centerline. Works great. Tested it with a couple of guitars in the neighborhood. Regards,

Mike Cutler
12-23-2006, 8:12 AM
I like the holes in the frame. Interesting design. The cradle area looks very secure. I have a 28yr old D-35 Martin that would look great in that stand.
:D :D ;)

Neil Lamens
12-23-2006, 8:36 AM
Way to get outside the "guitar case" Bill.........lots of little details going on there...NEATO!!!!

Mark Valsi
12-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Excellent design and execution thereof !

Michael Adelong
12-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Great job, Bill...

I was going to build a stand for my stepmother, but I don't have access to any guitars to measure for it. Yours looks a bit too complicated for me to attempt at this point, but I have a good friend that would love something like that. I may attempt to flatter you with imitation a year or two on down the road.

Could you let us know the critical dimensions? How high up from the base should the neck support should be, how far apart the 2 pieces that cradle the guitar had to be to keep it stable, yet off of the floor? Anything else that we should consider when designing our own stand?

Thanks,
Michael

Jesse Thornton
12-23-2006, 1:24 PM
That's really neat, Bill, I like the originality of the design. I'm sure your son will be delighted to be presented with that - I know I'd be. A guitar stand is also on my ever expanding 'to-do-one-of-these-days list'. Alas, my imagination moves a lot faster than my hands!
Have a very Merry Christmas,