PDA

View Full Version : Really tough weekend.

John Piwaron
11-10-2003, 8:56 AM
Well, the table project was going well. Probably too well. While I'm self congratulating myself on a neat orderly project thats going according to plan, Murphy is waiting with bad news near the end of physical assembly. Turns out my corner blocks where not bevel cut square to their width, resulting in the aprons being square to themselves, yet not perpendicular to the table top.

So on Sunday I formulated the plan that I would remove the screws, saw off the corner blocks and make new ones. It's just been a PITA. Depending on how things go upon completion of my repair, I'm ready to make an entirely new apron assembly, but I have hopes for my repair.

It's all such a waste of time when I really want to get to building my new desk.

Bob Lasley
11-10-2003, 10:52 AM
John,

You have my sympathy because I know how it feels. I have been there too many times. I usually never make the same mistake twice..........but I never have any trouble coming up with new ones! It's all part of woodworking and life, so grin and bear it! :D

Bob

Dave Smith
11-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Hi John,

If the corner blocks are repairable then it is a new learning opportunity. If they are not repairable then it is a repetite(making new apron) learning opportunity. Hang in there and good luck with the table.

Murphy lives in my shop or perhaps it is Pogo.

Dave Smith

"We have met the enemy and he is us", in Longview, WA.

John Piwaron
11-10-2003, 1:12 PM
I removed the screws from the four corner blocks. The yellow glue I had put on the ends of the blocks was all that held them in place then. I used a jig saw to cut the blocks down the center and then the bandsaw to remove the largish hunks from the actual aprons. After cleaning up the small remainder from the aprons, I starting fixing all the small marks from removing the blocks.

So all is not lost yet. With luck, I might even get back to an assembled condition today.