PDA

View Full Version : Gloat before it's delivered...and a Creeker visit before it happens.....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2006, 7:14 PM
One of the MR techs I work with called,,,,,,,,, her husband got on the phone....he had some 18" diameter green cut today...Maple........wanted to know if I wanted it....................Mike said it was two man logs and he didn't want to handle it more than necessary.......it's on it's way as I type......What do I do with it?:confused: :rolleyes: :D .............I met Mike at his wedding to his wife Kathy a few years ago.........He's a registered member/lurker........Nice guy......Free wood............Life is truly good!

John Hart
12-17-2006, 8:36 PM
Cool! Can't wait for the pics! What do you do with it? Uhhh...turn it?:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2006, 9:02 PM
The wood has been delivered.........I'll take photos in the morning. Didn't think to get photos of Mike and Kathy.....We invited them to stay for supper........They had to get back to their ranch.....John.....they have a couple of horseys.............

John Hart
12-17-2006, 9:18 PM
....John.....they have a couple of horseys.............

They do? That's great Ken. When do they butcher them? In the Spring? Maybe all the Creekers can get together in Lewiston for a luau....We can bury a horse...sing songs...fire dance.... The possibilities are endless.;)

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2006, 9:21 PM
Ken I would say that is quite a Christmas present. You better give thanks my friend. I just wish I could find some of that type of wood.

John Miliunas
12-18-2006, 1:01 PM
Ken, if you don't know what to do with it by now, you should probably be posting this on the "flatwork forum"!!! :eek: :D Great gloat, dooooood! Make sure you seal any open ends right away! :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2006, 7:24 PM
Hey Ken...congrats on the new stash of turning stock. I guess you'll need to order that Mustard Lathe now so you can turn some big bowls out of the new stock. ;)

Jim Ketron
12-18-2006, 8:47 PM
Nice gloat Ken!
be sure to get some sealer on that wood ASAP!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2006, 9:13 PM
I got a call earlier this afternoon. Mike Brooks the guy who gave me the maple was hauling the rest of the wood into his shop. Once the wood warmed up........the yellow jackets started coming from between the wood and the bark..........Anybody got any recommendations on how to kill those things without destroying the bark? I had visions of maple NEs dancing in my head last night!

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Ken, great news about getting the maple! Not so good about the possibility of yellow jackets! I would think that as long as the wood is stored outside - cold - you shouldn't have any problem.

Found one 'safe' way to get rid of the bees once inside a warm area. Check out: alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Departments/Tips/yellowjacket50.html

Looks like one of those home remedies but sure wouldn't leave pesticide in the wood. I'm sure there are other variations on the web that may work even better for you. What ever you try - the best of luck to you!

Dick Strauss
12-19-2006, 1:45 AM
Ken,
If they are like the yellow jackets around here, be careful!!! I was swarmed by several hundred while mowing the lawn. They weren't too happy to have me there disturbing them. They were very aggressive and bounced off of me before stinging me more times than I care to count. Thankfully I'm not allergic to these little buggers.

You may try bagging the logs outside. Then drop a paper towel soaked with wasp spray or DNA inside the bag and seal it up. Bring it into your garage to warm it up only after double-bagging the whole log. Once the swarm gets active, you'll stand a better chance of killing them with chemicals. You can also try spraying the bark with DNA while the log is outside.

OT---This reminds me of a funny story a friend told me a few years ago. He was 10 years old and it was plenty cold out (Winter in VT). He brought home an empty paper wasp nest the size of a watermellon to show his mom. His mom thought it was pretty neat. He put the nest in his room for later study. When he went into his room later that day, he found a swarm in his room. He learned that wasps wake up when the nest gets warm (in his house). Go figure...he now leads outdoor adventure programs.

Best of luck,
Dick