PDA

View Full Version : Help Selecting Router

Cory Garret
12-17-2006, 5:41 PM
Hello Again,

My second Post. As you can tell, I am preparing to buy some tools.

I think I have narrowed down my router choices to the following:

The Dewalt DW621 or the Worx WT600k.

I intend to use either one hand held with an offset sub base, and on a guide system like the EZ.
I also want good Dust Collection.
The idea is to make do with one good plunge router for now without breaking the bank.

The Dewalt seems pretty highly regarded overall. It seems that with the addition of a good sub base (Pat Warner's) it does well.
The Worx is harder to find much info on - but what I've found looks good. The Worx is more powerful yet close to the same weight. Both are about the same cost.
How good is the Dust collection on the Worx? Would it do as well for my intended use?

I would appreciate any insight, tips or suggestions anyone might provide.

I'm Posting these questions in the EZ forum as well, but wanted to get some feedback from the larger audience in the General Woodworking Forum.

Thanks!

Jim Becker
12-17-2006, 9:26 PM
The DW621 is a most excellent tool. But if this is your first router, consider one of the kits that include both a plunge and a fixed base, such as the DW618 Kit. That way you get low center of gravity when you need it and plunging when that is necessary.

I've never heard of the "Worx" product...

Steve Schoene
12-17-2006, 9:51 PM
Fine Woodworking reviews routers, with an eye to use in a router table, in the most recent issue. Their pick was the Triton, which was a plunge router, but also worked well in the table. They chose it best value and best overall. All the others were fixed base, though as Jim says some of those also had a plunge base available.

Allen Bookout
12-17-2006, 10:03 PM
I do not have a Worx but I hear that their circular saws are good. I have the DeWalt 621 and it is a smooth operating router but I hated the base so had to add dollars to buy a round sub base. I also do not like the small opening when I am trying to see the bit and I do not like the push with thumb and pull with finger to turn it on. If I was going to buy another router I would give the Home Depot one a shot. It looks good to me and the reports that I have seen on it are good. It has everything that I would want and I think that it is still on sale for $169 but have not checked this week. Now you have me thinking about buying the HD one and spending more money unnecessarily.

Well, now I am having second thoughts. I checked the HD web site and they do not show that router now. They have been on sale in the stores so I am wondering if they are doing away with it. If that were happen to be true it would make it had to get it repaired if necessary. May be this is not the case.

Rick Thom
12-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Fine Woodworking reviews routers, with an eye to use in a router table, in the most recent issue. Their pick was the Triton, which was a plunge router, but also worked well in the table. They chose it best value and best overall. All the others were fixed base, though as Jim says some of those also had a plunge base available.
Cory. I bought the Triton several months ago and it hasn't disappointed. Very well equipped, tons of power, great either table or free hand and excellent value. There is also a 3 1/2 hp with simalr features and more power again.
http://nhwoodworker.com/triton2/tritonmfo1_pg2.html

glenn bradley
12-17-2006, 10:23 PM
The Worx brand is a relatively new player and therefor unproven IMHO. This does not mean it is not good, just hasn't been around long enough to have much history. The DeWalts have a solid history and I would lean that way just based on that. I didn't see the FWW review on the Triton but a couple others had issues with the unusual control layout. Both those reviews stated that once you were used to them, they were fine.

It used to be said that if you could only have one router, get a plunge. The combo kits now available are of a higher quality than ones I have seen in the past. I have no plunge routers or DeWalts in my stable but I am leaning towards the DW618PK combo based on several folks here who are very happy with it. I love the big Bosch plunge but . . . cha-ching!

Rich Engelhardt
12-18-2006, 6:33 AM
Hello Cory,
I'm also in the process of picking out an intermediate (2 1/4 HP) router.
One of the ones I'm considering is the Dewalt DW618B3 as offered by Home Depot.
It's a 3 base combination, fixed, plunge and D-handle.
HD has them for $279, with a $50 rebate through the end of Jan.
If you apply for a HD Master Card, they add 2,500 points to your account. 2,500 points can be redeemed for a $25 HD card. Plus, through the end of jan 2007 you get 5 points for every $1 spent.
$279 - $50 - $25 - $15 (points earned on the router purchase)= $189
That's the best deal I could find for a 2 1/4 HP router.
(no - I don't work for HD - standard disclaimer)

Looking at the specs, it appears that the DW621 offers EVS but it's less powerful. 2HP vs 2 1/4HP.

Al Navas
12-18-2006, 8:38 AM
I recall that the DW618 has had some issues when used in plunge mode - I believe it is related to the plunge lock releasing in the middle of a plunge.

For additional information you may want to read Pat Warner's pages (http://patwarner.com), or give him a call. The plunge lock issue may not be mentioned in his web site.

Robert Mahon
12-18-2006, 9:33 AM
I've looked at a number of routers and particularly like the fixed base Bosch 1617EVS, Porter's new fixed/plunge kit and the Freud fixed base unit (I have a Porter 8529 Plunge router).

My decision was based on a few things; price, quality, adaptability, reputation and versatility.
Decision:
I chose the Freud fixed base unit because it is suitable for table use, has good adjustment features, is soft-start, is variable speed and includes an above the table adjuster knob. Clinching the deal was that Freud offers a free plunge base via a mail-in offer.

I don't yet have the router but will report on what I find after I've installed it to my table and used it a bit.

Kenny King
12-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I was able to get the Hitachi M12V for about $120 through Amazon. I mounted that on the router table on the LHS of my contractor saw. I use the Dewalt 618B - 3 base for all hand routing jobs. I highly recommend both tools. You'll find that it's gonna be a real hassle disconnecting and reconnecting the different bases to mount your hand router to the router table. I found it was worth th $120 to get an inexpensive dedicated router for the router table. - Ken

James Carmichael
12-18-2006, 12:02 PM
The 2 or 2 1/4 HP multi-base kits can't be beaten for versatility. There's a multitude from Porter Cable, Makita (my personal), Bosch, DeWalt. One of the WW mags did a review a year or two ago and gave the Bosch best overall honors, I think it's the 1617 evs(?), but I think any of those will be very satisfactory. My only beef with the Makita is the power switch, love it otherwise.

Mark Singer
12-18-2006, 12:23 PM
I really like the Bosch plunge and fixed base... I hear very good things about the Dewalt which is really an Elu design

Bryan Somers
12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Cory I have the DW618 fixed/plunge kit and so far I am very pleased with it along with alot of others here. I chose it because it ther was a rebate for the D-handle sub base at the time. You wont go wrong with the 621 though

Allen Bookout
12-18-2006, 4:36 PM
I went HD and looked at the Ridgid and DeWalt 618 again. I remembered that you wanted dust collection which I do not believe the Ridgid has. Even not considering dust collection, I believe that I would pick the 618 except I would not want to spend the extra for the D handle base so I would look for a good price with the fixed and plunge base. I am not positive but It think that I would like the 618 better than the 621 that I have.

Hoa Dinh
12-18-2006, 4:47 PM
I remembered that you wanted dust collection which I do not believe the Ridgid has.
It does:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/images/Second.jpg

The DW618, as supplied, has dust collection ONLY for the plunge base, but not for other bases. Also, none of the bases has dust collection underneath for edge-routing.

That is easy to fix by basterizing them, however. See them here (http://new.photos.yahoo.com/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762322156812). :cool: