PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Chest

Barry Bruner
12-17-2006, 4:00 PM
I made this chest a couple of months back, its 30" tall, 27" wide and 17" deep. The wood was given to me because it was to bad to sell , I went thruogh a half a pickup load to get enough to make it. After seing Rick de Rogue chest I couldn`t wait to get started, but mine is not near a fancy as his. BARRY BRUNER

Glenn Clabo
12-17-2006, 4:18 PM
It sure is purdy Barry. Nice job finding the best wood.

Jim Becker
12-17-2006, 4:21 PM
Very nice job, Barry. The bracket feet are really nicely done, too. Besides, what's not to like about something in cherry?? :)

Brian Hale
12-17-2006, 4:39 PM
Simply Wonderful Barry!!

The hardware is a good match and the finish is Superb!

Brian :)

Jeffrey Makiel
12-17-2006, 5:13 PM
Nice work! If this is what you can do with crummy wood, I'd love to see you in action with premium wood!

-Jeff :)

Roy Wall
12-17-2006, 5:41 PM
Simply Beautiful!!

Terrific work Barry........you did a superb job!!!

Howie French
12-17-2006, 5:57 PM
Barry,

you sure were able to pick out some great wood, this piece looks excellent.
Nice job all the way around.

Howie

Jerry Olexa
12-17-2006, 8:20 PM
Barry. nice work. The cherry looks beautiful... How did you finish???

Rick de Roque
12-17-2006, 9:11 PM
Barry,
Love what you were able to do with that cherry. Good matching of the top and sides, the drawer fronts look great also. Finish looks great. Glad I was able to give some inspiration for you. I get alot of inspiration from everyone else around here so its nice to pass some on. A well constructed piece!!

Rick

Ron Jones near Indy
12-17-2006, 9:34 PM
Great looking chest! That is some beautiful cherry. Thanks for sharing.:)

Don Bullock
12-18-2006, 9:41 AM
I wish someone would give me some nice wood like that.;)

Your chest is beautiful. Excellent job using the wood. The finish looks great. What did you use for the finish? I'm using some similar scraps (yes, I had to buy them) of cherry to make some trophy bases. The type of finish you have looks like it would work well on them. Thanks.

Jesse Thornton
12-18-2006, 9:41 AM
That looks really nice. Cherry has such a nice blend of richness and warmth - even those old 'throwaway' pieces that you used! What kind of finish did you use?

Kristian Wild
12-18-2006, 9:53 AM
Pretty nice job for only having "scrap" wood to work with!! I really like the bracket feet too. I've yet to try anything like those. Will it have a big bow on it for someone special in a couple of weeks?

Mark Valsi
12-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Very Nice Job !!

John Timberlake
12-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Great looking chest. You did a great job of picking out boards that match and getting a nice even finish. I have always loved this style chest - always in good taste. Thanks for sharing.

Barry Bruner
12-18-2006, 5:18 PM
I thank all of you and appreciate it very much. As for the finish I put three coats of Porter`s sanding sealer, sanding with 300 grit between coats and used it for the final coat, it looked as good as semi-gloss. Kristian, there is a pattern for the feet you can download. It's WOODSMITH BRACKET FOOT PATTERN NO.139, THANKS AGAIN, BARRY BRUNER

Barry Bruner
12-18-2006, 5:34 PM
I forgot to mention I used MIN-WAX cherry stain also. thanks BARRY BRUNER

Ted Shrader
12-18-2006, 5:59 PM
Barry -

Very nice work there. Great deal on the wood! A little sorting goes a long way. The chest looks great.

Well Done,
Ted

Zahid Naqvi
12-18-2006, 6:12 PM
After seing Rick de Rogue chest I couldn`t wait to get started, but mine is not near a fancy as his. BARRY BRUNER

It looks aweful nice to me. If you live around my neck of the woods I'll gladly relieve you of this burden ;)

It's a wonderful piece.