PDA

View Full Version : Finishing advice request

John Keane
12-17-2006, 1:38 PM
I am ready to start finishing the dresser shown in the attachnent. Material is maple. My plan is to washcoat with two coats of sand and seal, then apply two coats of gel (Bartleys - color unknown), multiple coats of poly, scuff sanding with progressively higher grit, then polishing it off with Menzerna. A neighborhood refinisher has volunteered to spray lacquer. I have not been a 'sprayer' to date so I don't know what the results will be.

Since I don't consider finishing as one of my long suits, I am soliciting any comments that would improve either my approach or my results. TIA John.

Steve Schoene
12-17-2006, 9:34 PM
I don't quite understand the need for sanding sealer, particularly not two coats. That will ensure no blotching, but the gel stain goes a long way toward that end anyway. Over the sanding sealer the coloration will be almost entirely on the surface, and if more than just a very light color is desired you may have to almost paint on the gel stain. Experiment on samples before you use the sanding sealer--it is not in any way needed for adhesion of the top coat. I can't imagine you will have a blotchy finish with gel stain over even one coat.

Polyurethane isn't a good choice either, since it is too soft to sand and rub out easily. If you want to apply it yourself I suggest a traditional resin varnish. These will rub out more evenly.

Lacquer makes a very attractive finish. It is quick drying so it collects little dust and it doesn't need sanding for adhesion between coats--though a little leveling of any defects isn't a bad thing. Lacquer is handily rubbed out to any gloss you desire. Not quite as tough as a oil based varnish, but usually plenty durable--remember that until very recently it has been the hands down choice by furniture manufacturers.

John Mihich
12-18-2006, 3:04 AM
Poly and lacquer do not like each other; well lacquer is not a good choice over the poly. The solvent in the lacquer will soften the poly and cause all sorts of problems, so I would skip the poly.

For maple I like to dye it with a water based dye followed by an oil based stain. This usually gives me a good coloring; I will say that it is usually for darker colors.

Your 2 coats of sealer is probably over kill but you'll be fine with the gel stain. Wait a couple of days before you put the top coats on to let everything dry. I believe most stains say 24 hours but just to be on the safe side I would wait the extra day.