PDA

View Full Version : First turnings....

Anthony Yakonick
11-09-2003, 10:24 PM
....since July! Red Maple and Silver Maple burl. Sorry for the direct flash.

Tom Sweeney
11-09-2003, 10:57 PM
from a guy with a bum shoulder ;)

Seriously Anthony - those are some seriously cool vessels :cool:
You do beautiful work.

I got your last email also -thanks - I'm going to try to make it to the next meeting - is it OK if I just show up? Are you planning on being there?

Jim Becker
11-10-2003, 9:56 AM
Oh, my...those are gorgeous! Very striking features on that red maple, too. You can come play in my shop at any time as long as I get to watch and learn!! :D

Tyler Howell
11-10-2003, 1:51 PM
Very nice,

Till now I haven't really had an interest in turning but I think I will sign up for that course.
Thanks for the push.
Tyler

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-10-2003, 7:18 PM
Anthony, that is some OUTSTANDING work! The wood, design, and finish is just beautiful. They may be the first turnings for ya since July, but you have not lost the touch! :D Thanks for sharing such beautiful work...........it is an inspiration. I look forward to seeing more of these!

John Davidson
11-10-2003, 9:52 PM
Those turnings are beautiful!!!! I wish mine first turings looked that good. What am I say, I wish my last turings looked that good. Great job!!

John

Matt Bridges
11-11-2003, 10:32 PM
The figure in those woods is absolutely awesome! I love the contrast and patterns. Great job.

Matt

Anthony Yakonick
11-12-2003, 6:44 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. The largest one is only about 4.5" dia, I was afraid to stick my bad arm and a Stewart tool in a big turning 3wks after surgery.

Anthony

Jim Becker
11-12-2003, 6:53 PM
I was afraid to stick my bad arm and a Stewart tool in a big turning 3wks after surgery.

D'jya ever think about a captive system, such as Jamison? It's been a breath of fresh air for me and eliminated virtually all the tension in my arms and hands when turning hollow vessels. Your Stewart tooling will plug right into it, too.

Anthony Yakonick
11-12-2003, 8:28 PM
D'jya ever think about a captive system, such as Jamison? It's been a breath of fresh air for me and eliminated virtually all the tension in my arms and hands when turning hollow vessels. Your Stewart tooling will plug right into it, too.
I'll have to show you sometime, but I tip the tool so I'm riding the bevel like a gouge on the inside it's a bit scary at first and fills the vessel quick but I get nice shavings not scrapings. I have thought about it after this surgery but it will limit some of my designs. Another thing I'm doing is flipping the front part of the tool over and running the lathe in reverse, which means no hanging over the lathe when I'm hollowing.

Warning: Kids don't try this at home it's not for newbies :D

Anthony

Jim Becker
11-12-2003, 9:20 PM
Another thing I'm doing is flipping the front part of the tool over and running the lathe in reverse, which means no hanging over the lathe when I'm hollowing.

I would definitely like to observe your technique sometime--it sounds interesting. If we do it at my shop, you can try out the Jamison system at the same time. (Yes, my little OneWay runs "backwards", too... :D )

Keith Harper
11-13-2003, 11:05 AM
I always admire the beautiful patterns that are revealed in turned wood. Looks like a beautiful production.