PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Fences

Bill Kay
12-17-2006, 9:53 AM
I have an older Craftsman table saw with cast iiron top and wings. I would like to upgrade the fence. Please quit laughing now.:)

A woodworker I know suggested the Ridgid AC1036 Retro Fit Rip Fence but I have been unable to find one. I called Ridgid and they could not tell me if it was available or the cost. The web site lists it but they were not sure if they had any.
http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/woodacc.phtml

I noticed that Lowes has a Delta T2 Fence and Rail Package for $150 that looks like it may work.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=237669-32764-36-T30&detail=cr&lpage=none

Opinions and suggestions would be appreciated. I did search the forums but couldn't find any info regarding these fences fitting an older Craftsman saw.

Cost is a primary concern. Being retired is fun but not profitable.
Regards,

Richard Leshner
12-17-2006, 9:57 AM
I have the Delta T2 fence and am very happy with it.
Give it a try Lowes has a very good return policy.

Don Bullock
12-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I have an older Craftsman table saw with cast iiron top and wings. I would like to upgrade the fence. Please quit laughing now.:)...

Bill,
I think that there are a lot more of us out here with these older Craftsman saws than you may think. I'm certainly in no position to laugh at yours.;) At the time I bought mine, early '70s, it was the very best available for the money that I had. All these new "cabinent" saws that people have these days either weren't around or at least I didn't know about them. Like you, for now, I'll have to limp along with it. Actually, for what I need it's a good saw. Your idea of adding an upgraded fense is one I'll need to consider and I would like to see a picture of one installed on your saw when you get one. I may have to do that some day.

steve tompkins
12-17-2006, 10:41 AM
the sears saw is a great saw. i got mine for a high school grad present in 1978. later i put a incra jig fence on it and a router table , wheels, improved dust colection....
miss that old saw.
the incra jig is a great fence system but $$$.

Don Fuss
12-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Bill,

I have Delta's T2 fence on my Hybrid and I can't say enough good things about it. It's no Biesemeyer in terms of rugged durability, but it's easy to adjust and very reliable. Just one note though - If you pick it up at Lowe's, be sure you get the newer version of the T2 with the plastic hairline cursor. The older models had metal pointers that many people do not like.

Homer Faucett
12-17-2006, 10:48 AM
The T2 is great. I have the older model with the metal cursor and have no problem getting accurate, repeatable cuts. For $150 everyday price, you probably can't do much better unless you just find a great deal.

scott spencer
12-17-2006, 10:50 AM
The T2 at $150 appears to be one of the better values in decent aftermarket fences.

The Biesemeyer is terrific but costs closer to $350.

The Vega is another very good fence known to be a good value, but will like run closer to $200.

The Shop Fox Aluma Classic from Grizzly is another good fence, but will run closer to $230 shipped.

Sometimes you'll find a good used fence in the forum classifieds or Ebay....

Jake Helmboldt
12-17-2006, 10:55 AM
I think it was Woodworker's Journal (Rockler's mag) that did a review of contractor saws. They liked the Rigis, but noted the biggest defficiency was the fence. The heavier the better IMHO. The rigid is alum, much like the Jet alum fences, which are also notoriously wimpy. I say stay away.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-17-2006, 10:57 AM
You can find Ridgid fences on ebay most of the time. They are great fences and you can mount them at 10" to the left and get 40" to the right of the blade.

Bill Kay
12-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the responses and excellent advice.

I'll have to check and re-check which fences will fit but I just might have to go with the Delta if they are in stock. Looks like a trip to the big box store today.

Thanks Again ....

Richard Leshner
12-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Any time, glad to help. Don't forget to post a pic.

Don Selke
12-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Bill:

You may want to check out Mule Cab at WWW.MuleCab.com (http://www.MuleCab.com) for your fence. I Have this fence and it has done a excillent job for me. It is well constructed and very accurate. When I installed it I could not believe the difference in my saw performance. Good luck in your search.

glenn bradley
12-17-2006, 2:17 PM
I used the Craftsman 'Align-A-Rip' (Made by Ryobi for Sears) till I upgraded to a new saw, otherwise I would still be using it. It bolts right on, has t-tracks built in and was accurate and inexpensive. I got a Craftsman club email about a month ago and they were on sale for $99, really . . . $99.

Dave Bureau
12-17-2006, 2:48 PM
I just bought a delta saw that came with a T2 fence. I'm not going to use the fence and will sell for 100.00 plus shipping. brand new in the box.

glenn bradley
12-17-2006, 2:54 PM
Dave and Bill, you gotta love this forum!

Mark Hubler
12-17-2006, 7:22 PM
Another option for you - http://www.exaktortools.com/sawfence.htm It has a design like the Biesemeyer fences, but with T-slots on the top and removable faces.

Bryan Somers
12-17-2006, 8:51 PM
Bill I also have an older craftsman that has a pitiful fence and have been thinking the same thing. Post progress and pics.

Carl Eyman
12-18-2006, 10:42 AM
I put a Vega on my Craftsman (1970's) ten or more years ago. With a Forrest WWII blade, cast iron vee belt pulleys, a notched vee belt I'll almost certainly never buy another saw. I habe no experience with other fences (except original Craftsman - ugh) but I can't imagine anything better than the Vega and it went on easily.

Tyler Howell
12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
I added the Bies to my Cman and that was the best part of the saw. It out performed all the other features of the saw.
That was the only think people wanted when I tried to sell it.
After all the updates, (Bies.PALS, 240VAC, MAG switch, linked belt, ZCI, and machine pulleys) it was still a Cman saw with great attachements.:o

I'd think hard before an investment over $150.00