PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wheels

Jim Huston
12-17-2006, 8:37 AM
Recently I saw a ad on e bay for a guy that had made replacement wheels for a ULS laser. I can't find it again and need wheels. Anybody know who it was and contact info?
Thanks

Mitchell Andrus
12-17-2006, 9:37 AM
You wore out a set of wheels???? Off-roading again Jim??

If you need just the tires, take an old one to a machine shop and have them reproduced in aluminum or brass (not steel, it'll rust). It's a 1/2 hour job, tops. I've had a few rubber wheels go bad because of age and machine weight. Why wheels on 500 pound machines are made of rubber, I don't get.

If you need the whole she-bang, McMaster-Carr has them, or a close replacement.

Mark Winlund
12-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Search on ebay with the term "universal laser" and you will find it. I saw it yesterday. (if you mean the laser head wheels and not the machine casters!)

Mark

Jim Huston
12-17-2006, 3:03 PM
I thought I had seen it also but not there now. Did anyone happen to make note of the contact?
Thanks

Tim Goldstein
12-17-2006, 4:24 PM
Check item 160051538453

It is one of their old listing. If you can not make contact from that info contact me and I will dig up the contact details I have down at my plant when I am there on Monday evening.

Jim Huston
12-17-2006, 5:49 PM
Tim:
you are a jewel. Thanks
Jim H

Mike Mackenzie
12-18-2006, 2:12 PM
Jim,

The web site that sells these is www.Kaidan.com (http://www.Kaidan.com) You will want to contact Jim Anders. Like I mentioned on another forum I don't think these wheels are better that the newest Flat bearings that uls has available.

We have been testing these wheels for about a month now and have seen noticeable wear. It is not affecting the engraving quality but it probably will sometime soon.

Mark Winlund
12-18-2006, 6:11 PM
Jim,

Like I mentioned on another forum I don't think these wheels are better that the newest Flat bearings that uls has available.

We have been testing these wheels for about a month now and have seen noticeable wear. It is not affecting the engraving quality but it probably will sometime soon.

Hi Mike... what are these flat bearings? I have been having vertical "wiggles" (in the X axis direction) for some time now at vector speeds above 5%, and am looking for a way to cure it. They seem to occur when the head changes from vertical motion to horizontal motion. There is no apparent "slop" in the head, which makes me think that there is some kind of resonance going on. The machine does not have that many hours on it.

Mark

Mike Mackenzie
12-18-2006, 7:32 PM
Mark,

The newest flat bearings are designed for heavy use or materials that have a lot of debris (corian, anodized metal, etc) They are a direct replacement for the existing bearings and are recommended for replacement once needed.

This problem could be caused by a couple of things. First off does this system have Air assist?

this could cause this problem due to the extra weight the air has on the arm.

You can try to adjust the Y axis belts tension (do not tighten the Y axis belts more than a quarter turn each side).

You can also try to rotate the X-Bearings (top left to top right, top right to bottom and bottom to top left) and be sure they are all installed correctly (the wave washer is in the correct spot) Be sure they are tight but be careful not to tighten to much just snug. If you tighten them to tight the shoulder screws can break.

Inspect the rail to be sure that there is no debris clean the top and bottom really well.

Also snug up on the Len's attached to the plate (the two Phillips screws).

Try these easy steps first and see if it helps. My guess is the Y belt tension. Be careful not to tension to much do 1/4 turn at a time and do not exceed 1/2 turn total.

Mark Winlund
12-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks, I will try this tomorrow!

Regards, Mark