PDA

View Full Version : Bugflector?

Tony Sade
11-09-2003, 8:28 PM
I want to put one of these things on my vehicle. For the uninitiated, its one of those dark plastic doohickies that runs across the leading edge of the hood to "deflect" bugs up and over the windshield. The one I had on a previous vehicle was affixed with double-sided tape. The shop tells me that fitting the version that goes on my current car involves drilling some holes in the hood. That makes me nervous.

Any reason to fear this procedure? TIA, Tony

Mike Evertsen
11-09-2003, 9:07 PM
not if you do it right the first time otherwise you'll have some drain holes,,,,,,

Paul Kunkel
11-09-2003, 10:00 PM
yes don't drill holes in hood. Besides, I've had 'em on numerous different vehicles and they haven't kept the bugs off the windshield and sometimes they'll scratch the paint of the hood. They are a pain to clean, clean behind, and in time just look ugly. just my $.02 I've got 2 for a Ram PU, 1 for a Bronco-want 'em?

Joe Suelter
11-12-2003, 9:08 PM
I've put these on many, many, many vehicles at my previous job. They look ok, if that's all you want it for. The holes in the hood really isn't that big of a deal, you're talking about 5 or 6 tiny little holes on the underside of your hood, even if you take it off your still not going to really notice them. I'd be more worried about the paint on the hood wearing off from vibration than the small holes! These things do vibrate, like crazy! Also they are a great place for leaves and dirt to gather behind, not to mention water that freeezes and while your driving is tearing the you know waht out of your paint!! I've had them on 3 of my last trucks. I've managed to shatter 2 of them, and the other flew off at highway speeds passing semi-trucks. As mentioned before, they really do not help all that much for bugs, or rocks as some advertise. On some new GM trucks they mount using metal spacers that come out from the hood in between the grill, little metal plates. There isn't enough clearance between the grill and hood. On the Dodge Rams, 94+ you have two choices, either double back tape or covering up half of your grill. I've owned just about every kind out there, or at least I've seen them. Lund by far makes the best fitting with their Interceptor line. Also, they warranty theirs from breakage for the life of your truck (unless things have changed in 1 1/2 years since I've sold them). Deflecta-Sheild, is a close second. This is mrely my opinion. Research them on the internet to maybe find out more about them. Good luck with your purchase.

Martin Shupe
11-12-2003, 11:23 PM
I had one on my Ford Ranger.

I took it off after I determined that it was collecting rainwater and holding it against the front edge of the hood.

This caused corrosion to occur under the hood "lip", which led to a line of rust all along the bottom front edge of the hood.

I am not sure if it was ever that effective at deflecting bugs, but it was good at ruining my paint.

I won't use one again.