PDA

View Full Version : More Butcher Blocks

Wayne Gordon
12-17-2006, 3:58 AM
Here's a few more pics of some of my recent work. Thanks for the welcome. The end-grains are cherry, maple, white oak, and black walnut. The edge-grain is bloodwood and hickory.

Kyle Kraft
12-17-2006, 7:03 AM
WOW! Those are very nice, Wayne! I'd hate to cut anything on 'em!

Jack Dickey
12-17-2006, 9:26 AM
Speechless ..
I been putting 'em off for a while ..
Reckon it's time to start ..
Beautiful Werk ..

Mark Singer
12-17-2006, 9:41 AM
Those are nice and they make great gifts. Excellent work on selecting the wood and joining

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-17-2006, 12:51 PM
I have made a few butcher blocks over the years.
My first was a pig. I think I was 7.

Anyway the end grain blocks have always struck me as interesting but problematic ( I have never done or owned one). Do they present expansion and shrinkage issues? Can they be used for regular cutting and washed with water? Or are they more for "presentation" purposes?

Christopher Pine
12-17-2006, 8:16 PM
I like the randon piese butcher blocks.. Is there any method to the madness? Do you just glue up random pieces then plan and join together?

Chris

Ethan Sincox
12-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Wayne,
I, too, love the randomness of your patterns. It is so nice to see people taking artistic license with their work. Great job!

Wayne Gordon
12-17-2006, 11:33 PM
The randomness of my end-grains come from the choice of materials that I use. I'm lucky enough to live in a community with a furniture factory. This factory discards their scraps (maple, cherry, and white oak) in an area for the community to pick them up (mini-gloat). I end up with a lot of sapwood in the cherry and a ton of irregular widths in all the woods.

Thomas Walker
12-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I wonder about the expansion too. It seems the glue-up would have to be perfect since there are so many small glue joints. Also, could you run the block through a planer to flatten the top? Or would that be a disaster since you'd be trying to plane end-grain?

Wayne Gordon
12-18-2006, 2:21 PM
I use a drum sander to flatten the tops.