PDA

View Full Version : It's nice to know that somebody appreciates your feeble

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2006, 12:27 AM
attempts at turning........I started turning bottle stoppers a month or so ago. The first ones were pretty crude but they have IMHO improved as I turned more. I wear a mountain parka that is gortex lined but with no insulation as I get in my company vehicle...drive a few miles to a hospital...out and into the hospital. The mountain parka has lots of pockets so often if I turned a couple bottle stoppers, I'd throw a couple in just to show people and get their opinions........I've had numerous people asking to buy them. Two weeks ago my wife took some to school and sold them in 15 minutes after arriving to school .........A goodly number of them were commissioned by my wife as Christmas presents for family and friends. Last Friday I had 7 left.....I went to one place...a guy said he wanted to buy a couple........He bought them all. I didn't make it to the other places where others wanted to buy them. Finally.....finally.....I'm starting to get some money to pour back into this addiction.....I'm a spin crack pusher now! What have you folks done to me?:eek: :rolleyes: :D ...........but it's nice to know that other folks appreciate my improving turning skills!:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Know what ya mean Ken. Sounds like you did good. I haven't made my money back yet on this addiction but it sure is nice to make a little to put back. Ken I think we did good for our first year. :p :p

Nancy Laird
12-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Ken, I have to agree with you about liking it that someone appreciates [my] feeble attempts at turning. I started turning pens in August, and since the first ones--sold sight unseen--I've sold 10 sets and about 30 singles. Most of the buyers want the laser-engraved boxes with them. I sold a single to a lady at a craft show a couple of weekends ago, and she called me today to buy another set as a gift. The local library gift-shop coordinator wants to keep my pens in the gift shop--so that will be an on-going client. This may turn into a full-time job! It is nice to know that what I do is liked and appreciated.

Bottle stoppers are next!

Nancy

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2006, 1:20 AM
Ken, I to am just starting to see some results from my turnings. It is definately a good feeling and one that I look forward to having more often! Hey, it's only going to get better!

Bill Boehme
12-17-2006, 2:54 AM
Great going, Ken. I haven't yet been able to bring myself to take money from people for the things that I have turned. Maybe it is because I know about all the epoxy, CA, and coffee grounds that are in some of my turnings. Maybe I ought to start turning pens and bottle stoppers.

Bill

John Hart
12-17-2006, 6:24 AM
Congratulations Ken! You're way ahead of me. Wish I had a marketing manager.:o :cool: :)

Tom Sherman
12-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Ken this spin crack thing does have it's benefits doesn't it. Kinda gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. Way to go.

John Timberlake
12-17-2006, 5:19 PM
Great job. It always nice to have people appreciate your work whether you are selling or giving away. What was the price range for the stopper?

Pete Simmons
12-17-2006, 5:31 PM
I am going to a good size Christmas party in a few hours. Everyone there will be getting a ornament with their name on it made from Georges thin cherry. You know I will have a nice feeling inside as everyone gets their ornament. I have made and sold enough pens, engravings, ornaments and more that I see my work in many places I go. Now I even have people asking for an item just like ________(fill in the name here).
I also relize that Christmas morning many items I have made will be opened as gifts all across the USA and that most of them will be in the family forever.

I this a great hobby/business or what??

We are indeed lucky to be able to do this.