PDA

View Full Version : Folks in San Diego.....I need some help identifying a building..

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2006, 11:28 PM
My wife rode an aircraft carrier, the USS Carl Vinson, back from Hawaii a couple of years ago. It went from Pearl Harbor to San Diego to Bremerton WA. It overnighted in San Diego. At night she came up on the flight deck. In the dark she could see a building in San Diego that had 3 lighted circles on it. Could you please identify this building for me? Thanks!

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2006, 2:12 AM
Ken - was it this one?

If so - that's the:
Wyndham San Diego at Emerald Plaza
400 West Broadway San Diego, California 92101

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't know Andy.....I'll get her down here to look at the photo after she gets up. Sunday is the one day she sleeps in.....and I won't wake her up ....I have to live with her .........:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2006, 1:03 PM
Andy..........SWMBO said You nailed it! She's been losing sleep over not knowing what this building is!:rolleyes: You'll be happy to know she's taken your name off the list of people who deserve some type of torture for lathing me!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2006, 1:24 PM
Thanks, but she might want to reconsider after checking the rates (http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/SANEP/main.wnt). :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2006, 1:51 PM
We've paid nearly that in 2000 while on vacation with her folks and mine in the southeast....beach resorts. We paid for the trip as we billed it as "2000...Parents Appreciation Road Trip".......Neither of our folks could afford it but we wanted them to see some of the places we lived while in the Navy. We had a great time!

Sometime I'll have to tell you about Sharon "politely" and "legally" stealing a room key at the Cooperstown, NY Holiday Inn..........

Charles McKinley
12-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Ken,

How long were you on the CVN 70? My brother served on that ship in the mid 90's.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Charles..........I rode the USS Carl Vinson for 3 days from San Francisco to Bremerton in the fall of 2000. My youngest son was a staff officer aboard her from 2000 through 2003. In June 2001 they departed for a scheduled deployment to fly the southern "No Fly Zone" over Iraq. They were just turning into the Persian Gulf on 9/11. When they started home in late Dec. 2001, my youngest son and I developed our own code and for Christmas I got my wife a 1-way ticket to Pearl Harbor. She flew there early in January 2002. She and my youngest ran around Hawaii for 1 1/2 days and then she rode the Carl Vinson from Pearl Harbor to San Diego and on to Bremerton. Though she was a Navy wife during my 8 years, she'd never seen a ship come home. She was trying to film their arrival in San Diego...when the 165 new fathers were the first ones off the ship....her Canon "steady cam" wouldn't compensate for her sobbing.