PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused by my "new" Powermatic 95 scroll saw

Paul Rubas
12-16-2006, 9:16 PM
I've just bought a Powermatic 95 scroll saw that appears to be about 25 years old. It was covered with the usual dirt and grime and now I'm trying to get it working again. I've never had a scroll saw before so I don't really know what I'm doing.

The part I'm confused about is the spring-return mechanism on the upper blade chuck that is used to keep the blade tight as it goes up and down. Without a blade installed, I can pull it downward (tightening the spring) about 2 inches. When I release it, it goes up slowly by itself - it moves about the same speed as a shock absorber. I would have thought that this part should spring up VERY quickly, so that it would keep the blade tight as it goes up and down at around 1000 strokes/minute. With the drag on this spring assembly, I'd be lucky to get 10 strokes per minute.

I took it apart and compared to the parts diagram - as far as I can tell, mine matches the diagram exactly. The spring is installed in a tube, and there are rubber washer-like pieces on each end of the spring. These rubber pieces act as dampers and slow the movement of the spring. Are these parts supposed to be hard plastic or something so they will slide more readilly? Am I doing something else wrong? Is the spring supposed to have a quick action as I suspected?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Paul