PDA

View Full Version : Gloat. No more dull chains.

Terry Quiram
11-09-2003, 7:16 PM
I got tired of paying someone else to sharpen my chains poorly. Purchased this sharpener from Bailey's. Just finished setting it up and sharpening all my chains. AT $4 a pop I am 24 dollars ahead right now. I even have a few guys I work with that will give me their business. Won't be able to access how well I did until Tues night.

Clem Wixted
11-10-2003, 8:03 PM
Terry,

How long does it take you to sharpen a chain?

Do you remove the chain from the saw?

What is the cost of a sharpener?

Thanks,
Clem

Jason Roehl
11-10-2003, 9:03 PM
Clem, I don't have that exact one (mine doesn't move in the "compound" direction), but I can sharpen a chain off the saw in 5 min, including setting the depth (grinding the rake teeth).

And, mine only cost about $80 from Harbor Freight, but it's made in Italy.

The chains I have sharpened with it have been much sharper than any other method I have used, including taking them to a sharpening shop.

Terry Quiram
11-11-2003, 7:16 AM
Clem

Everything Jason said. $260. 3 wheels to sharpen all varities of chains. I am going to test how well I did tonight.

Terry

Clem Wixted
11-11-2003, 5:10 PM
Clem, I don't have that exact one ...
The chains I have sharpened with it have been much sharper than any other method I have used, including taking them to a sharpening shop.

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I have 3 different size chain saws and each chain is bigger than the previous one. Will your device handle different chain sizes? Why do you think that yours are sharper than a store bought sharpening? Are you more particular than they are? Do you need different size stones (wheels) to sharpen other chains?
I assume that you move each link into position to sharpen. Are there index positions for each link or do you do this free hand?

Terry, thanks for starting this thread.

Clem

Jason Roehl
11-11-2003, 6:36 PM
Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I have 3 different size chain saws and each chain is bigger than the previous one. Will your device handle different chain sizes? Why do you think that yours are sharper than a store bought sharpening? Are you more particular than they are? Do you need different size stones (wheels) to sharpen other chains?
I assume that you move each link into position to sharpen. Are there index positions for each link or do you do this free hand?

Terry, thanks for starting this thread.

Clem

Here's a link to the one I have, Clem.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43955

I believe that the critical dimension for the sharpener is the chain pitch, defined here:

http://www.madsens1.com/Oregon2.htm

If I recall correctly, the sharpener is capable of 3/8", .404", and 3/4"-pitch chains, but not the smaller .325"-pitch chains, as the cutters and rake teeth are too close together.

As for the sharpness of the chains, it's just an impression. For one, I thought that the "pro" sharpeners I've used in the past took more off the teeth than necessary, but the chains I've sharpened for myself and a friend have SEEMED to be sharper (I've been cutting firewood for 4+ years and he for 20) than any other method either of us have used in the past. He asked me to sharpen his chains after we took down a cherry tree together and he saw how quick of work I made of the tree with my saw.

If you do decide to get one, let me know, I can try to fill you in on the trick for setting the depth gauges on the chain with the grinder. I had been filing them by hand (20+ minutes/chain). I smacked myself on the forehead after I figured out how to do it with the grinder.

Steve Clardy
11-11-2003, 6:49 PM
So---------you guys gonna throw out your hand files now that you have sharpeners? Lol
Steve, still in the hand filing mode.

Jason Roehl
11-11-2003, 6:53 PM
So---------you guys gonna throw out your hand files now that you have sharpeners? Lol
Steve, still in the hand filing mode.

Steve, I would NEVER throw out such a tool. You never know when I might need it for SOMETHING....Hmmm...got alot of "stuff" that falls into that category....