PDA

View Full Version : ID my wood gloat?

Gary Herrmann
12-16-2006, 8:02 PM
A lot of trees came down in the ice storm. I still have some more clean up to do tomorrow, then I think I'm finally done. A neighbor was walking by and said he knew of some fruit tree wood I could have.

It was a neighbor's but he had already asked for me. He said the smaller ones were plum and the larger apple. A couple of the larger ones are 9-10" in diameter. I told him I'd make him a bowl out of one of the larger ones.

Are they plum and apple? They look the same to me in terms of the bark and the color of the wood. I'm not sure what they are.

Thanks

John Hart
12-16-2006, 8:24 PM
Great score Gary! Doesn't look like any apple trees I've ever seen. Dunno.

Rob Bourgeois
12-16-2006, 8:43 PM
almost looks like bradford pear to me...

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-16-2006, 11:01 PM
The only piece that looks like the Apple we get here is the first piece from the left in the first picture. The color is about right and the bark looks like Apple, too. Can't see the bark on the rest that well.

Could be wrong. Not an expert.

Bruce

Gary DeWitt
12-17-2006, 1:44 AM
I got some plum last year that was about that color, but the bark was smooth and gray. Whatever it is, cut it into blanks or turn it just as soon as possible. What I had split clean through and from end to end in a few weeks, and these were 5' long pieces!

Bill Boehme
12-17-2006, 3:01 AM
Could you get a much closer picture of the bark? From this distance, it looks a lot like crab apple, but I can't see the bark well enough to be certain. The wood certainly resembles crab apple. I would say definitely not Bradford pear. The crotch wood on the left does not have the characteristic of Bradford pear crotches.

Bill

Dave Smith
12-17-2006, 10:10 AM
I think the identification is probably right. There are so many different types apple with a variety bark depending on the type and location where grown. The hart wood in the second and third picture looks like apple to me. The cherry will make your shop smell like a Smith's cough drop when you turn it.

The largest piece in picture 2 begs to be cut from 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock for a beautiful bowl.

Good luck.

Dave Smith

Plum tired this morning in Longview, WA.

Gary Herrmann
12-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll mark that one so I remember to try that.

Bill, I took these pics so you can see the bark better.

I guess it could be crab apple, but its definitely a different type that I have in my yard.

Bill Boehme
12-17-2006, 1:06 PM
I changed my mind. Now, I think that it is either apricot or plum. More likely plum than apricot.

Bill

Gary Herrmann
12-17-2006, 1:24 PM
Well, he did say it was plum. That could be interesting. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will have some nice color in the wood once I get into it. 'Course thats once I get all the work done around the house I'm supposed to be doing...