PDA

View Full Version : Alternative method drilling pen blanks

Alan Tolchinsky
12-16-2006, 7:57 PM
Hi All, I usually use a drill press to drill holes for my pen blanks. But I don't have a drill press now and wondered about alternatives. The problem is I can't think of another way to do this. Any ideas on another method? Thanks!

George Summers
12-16-2006, 8:19 PM
Alan -

A lot of folks buy a jacobs chuck and use it in the tailstock of the lathe. Put the blank between centers (a center on the headstock and use the tip of the drill bit on the tailstock) and extend your tailstock center into the blank. I use the same chuck that I use for the end milling only transfer it from the headstock to the tailstock.

George

Dave Bonde
12-16-2006, 8:31 PM
Depending on the blank you can use an electric hand drill. I drill a lot of irregular blanks like antler, tree branch, or corn cobs that way. I put the blank in a vise and site down the drill and visualize a straight line through the blank. You may not want to start with your favorite blank but it works pretty well. A sharp brad point bit also helps. Dave

Curt Fuller
12-16-2006, 9:43 PM
Alan -

A lot of folks buy a jacobs chuck and use it in the tailstock of the lathe. Put the blank between centers (a center on the headstock and use the tip of the drill bit on the tailstock) and extend your tailstock center into the blank. I use the same chuck that I use for the end milling only transfer it from the headstock to the tailstock.

George

I think this is actually a better way than using a drill press. It works best with a brad point bit. I've never had one go skeewampus on me since I started boring them on the lathe.