PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Fence

Jay Brewer
12-16-2006, 7:56 PM
Hi everyone, I have had a few PM's about the Tiger Fence I have installed on my saw, I cant figure out how to post pics on PM's so I thought i would start a new thread. For those that dont know, it is basically a CNC rip fence that moves to the posision that you input.

A question I had was about the repeatability, so I thought I would post a few pics

Here the fence is set at 8" I have a dial caliper set at 0

I have moved the fence out to 24" not touching the dial caliper

Here I move the fence back to 8" letting the fence push the caliper back to its original position

The glare makes it a little hard to see, but the caliper returns back to exactly zero. Anyone that uses a rip fence on a Euro slider would benifit from this upgrade, thanks for looking

Jim Becker
12-16-2006, 8:00 PM
Jay, can you provide more photos of the actual fence system for the boys and girls?? ;)

Jay Brewer
12-16-2006, 8:21 PM
Jay, can you provide more photos of the actual fence system for the boys and girls?? ;)

Thanks Jim, I should have done it in the original thread

This is the basic system, a fence and controller

this is the fence set up as a crosscut stop

This is the fence laid down for an unobstructed table

This pic is the controller, I made the swing arm it is on, I didnt like any of the other mouting options.

Thanks for looking.

lou sansone
12-16-2006, 8:45 PM
hi jay
I know that your running a felder 700, but I dont see the round fence bar that I thought the 700 have. what is the squarish bar that the fence seems to be attached to? does the tiger fence replace the round bar ?

lou

Jay Brewer
12-17-2006, 7:25 AM
hi jay
I know that your running a felder 700, but I dont see the round fence bar that I thought the 700 have. what is the squarish bar that the fence seems to be attached to? does the tiger fence replace the round bar ?

lou

Hi Lou, there is two different versions of this fence, the original attached to the existing round bar and fence, it had a air cylinder that actuated the lock on the fence, this is the newer version that replaces the round bar and fence. You have to have a flat vertical surface for the new fence to bolt to. The Felder saws have a cast iron tab that sticks out from the main table that the round bar bolts to, instead of grinding this off (because if I upgrade saws I can put the Felder fence back on ) I installed a peice of 2"x3" angle that covers the tabs, thats the grey peice right in front of the cast iron top, then the large square tube ( which is the motor and lead screw for the Tiger Fence ) bolts to that. The Mini Max does not have these tabs, so intallation would be less that 30 minutes

Mike Cutler
12-17-2006, 8:35 AM
I don't think that I will ever have a Tiger Fence, more than inpressive by the way, but that little dial indicator setup you have is going to be very useful to me.
I never thought of using a dial indicator to reposition the fence. Of course,I'll have to be the CNC "Manual Version"

That is a very impressive setup all the way down the line. Thanks for sharing it with us Jay.

Ed Bamba
12-17-2006, 9:10 AM
I saw this fence at the Tiger Stop display here in Las Vegas last year. The Rep. stood a nickel on its edge against the face of the fence, pressed some buttons on the control console and the fence moved all the way to the right; it stopped, and went right back to to its initial position. The movement of the fence was so smooth that the nickle didn't fall. More impressive was that the fence stopped right against the nickle without tipping the nickle over.

Not sure if I would ever need such a set up, but it is an impressive one none the less.

Jay, beside its repeatable accuracy, what else do you find impressive about this fence system that justifies its cost? Speaking of cost, how much was it if you don't mind me asking? I have the brochure and price list stored somwhere in the house, but it would take all day to find it.

Take care,
Ed

Jay Brewer
12-17-2006, 10:18 AM
I saw this fence at the Tiger Stop display here in Las Vegas last year. The Rep. stood a nickel on its edge against the face of the fence, pressed some buttons on the control console and the fence moved all the way to the right; it stopped, and went right back to to its initial position. The movement of the fence was so smooth that the nickle didn't fall. More impressive was that the fence stopped right against the nickle without tipping the nickle over.

Not sure if I would ever need such a set up, but it is an impressive one none the less.

Jay, beside its repeatable accuracy, what else do you find impressive about this fence system that justifies its cost? Speaking of cost, how much was it if you don't mind me asking? I have the brochure and price list stored somwhere in the house, but it would take all day to find it.

Take care,
Ed

Hi Ed, I guess the biggest benifit besides repeatabilty, is the fact I dont have to walk around the table everytime I want to adjust the fence, huge time saver. You can also program dimensions you use frequently, like rail & stile, face frame, upper and base cabinet sides, ect.

As far as justifying the cost, I dont think I use it enough to "justify" it, but using it to make money as I do, will sooner ar later pay for itself, in faster production and no more miscuts, thanks

lou sansone
12-17-2006, 12:19 PM
jay
that fence is real nice. I do this for a hobby and it is very tempting to think about installing it. I will probably post another thread asking about folks who use a digital read out as a low cost version
thanks for the post
lou

Ed Bamba
12-17-2006, 1:28 PM
Great points Jay. Thanks for the info.
Ed

Jim Becker
12-17-2006, 1:40 PM
jI will probably post another thread asking about folks who use a digital read out as a low cost version

Considering the same here, either for the current saw or the potential replacement...I love the DRO on my planer.