PDA

View Full Version : New to turning, need advice on tools

Chris Pasko
12-16-2006, 6:40 PM
I am going to be picking up some tools to hopefully do some turning one of these days. At the moment I have none. I would like to know what tools you guys suggest as a necessity to a newbs tool chest, and which I should get following.

Also, who makes the best turning tools out there now, as I never like to cheap out on my equipment.

Thanks ahead guys!

Jim Becker
12-16-2006, 6:54 PM
You mean you're finally gonna fire that bad girl up?? LOL!

You'll likely get a recommendation to start with the HFT HSS "set". I prefer to recommend separate tools:

1) parting tool...start with a 1/8" or 3/16" wide one
2) 3/8" bowl gouge
3) 3/8" spindle gouge
4) 3/4" spindle roughing gouge
5) 1/2" heavy (thick!) round nose scraper

Packard Woodworks house brand is excellent and attractively priced...great to get started with quality. There is no "best turning tools" out there...just a lot of excellent choices!

You also need a full face shield and safety glasses as well as a serviceable grinder with white AO wheels. If you can swing it...the Wolverine sharpening system from OneWay will help you get consistant sharpening results. And Bill Grumbine's DVDs.

Your also welcome to cruise up here sometime (schedule permitting) and I'll go over some basics with you.

John Timberlake
12-16-2006, 7:00 PM
Jim's list is a good start. If you plant to do spindle work other than pens, then I would add a 1" skew and 1-1/4" spindle roughing gouge. Most of my tools are Sorby and have been please with them. But I can't compare to other tool brands.

David Walser
12-16-2006, 7:14 PM
As predicted, here's your recommendation to pick up the "Windsor Design" set from Harbor Freight. (Harbor Freight item number 47066.) It costs about $35, less when it's on sale or you have a coupon. If you want to turn bowls, you'll still need a bowl gouge. Any of the 1/2" bowl gouges will do to start. I agree that Packard's house brand represents good value.

Now, why recommend such a cheap set when you've said you don't mind spending money on quality? First, the Harbor Freight set is made of good steel. It will take a good edge and will hold it, so you can do quality work with it. Second, one of the most difficult thing to learn as a turner is how to sharpen you tools. For most of us it involves grinding a lot of steel off the end of a tool before we get it right. It's best to use a $35 set of tools for learning. (Heck, buy two sets!) Once you can sharpen your tools right almost every time, then buy the name brand stuff.

Dennis Peacock
12-16-2006, 7:29 PM
Well, between David, John, and Jim....I don't have anything to add to this list. Just do it!!! :D

Chris Pasko
12-16-2006, 10:35 PM
As always, very helpful answers! I will get to researching the recommended tools! Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks for the invite Jim, things are slowing down with my landscaping company now so I may have a bit of free time coming up to take you up on that offer! I really appreciate it! Its been a while since we talked last, I hope all is well! Thanks for the directions on the sharpening equipment as well, I was just thinking of what that was again today! Its seems I have been so busy with everything it seems I forgot everything about tools heh.

Chris Pasko
12-16-2006, 10:51 PM
BTW, do you happen to have a link to Bill's DVD's?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Chris....go to Bill on the Members list.....His webpage is listed there....

You can buy them direct from him.....I did.

George Tokarev
12-17-2006, 7:29 AM
Also, who makes the best turning tools out there now, as I never like to cheap out on my equipment.

Best tools, as always, are the ones you don't own yet, but your buddy does.

Two things which happen a lot in answers to these kinds of questions are the tool snob/slob conflict between the famous turner hallmark gouges, an extension of the "make your first lathe your last" group, and the HF afficionados, and the inevitible "learn to sharpen" advice.

My take on the first is to get an expansive, not expensive set to begin with. Carbon or HSS, makes little difference, especially if you turn slowly, which you should until you get familiar with what's happening at the far end of the tool. Things happen with less frequency and are less frightening when your concentration is on tool control from your end rather than cutting for speed.

For the second, modify it to "learn to use" the angles you've got. It's incredible how many different grinds, jigs and patterns promise perfection. Guess I don't own any of them - yet - but this tool or that grind will certainly make a better turner out of me automatically:rolleyes: . I say dance with the one you brung until you know the moves before playing the field. Think of it as the wrong presentation of the right edge when results don't meet expectation, not the right presentation and the wrong edge. With remarkably few exceptions, any tool can be made to reach anywhere. Some just do it better than others. Try everything out on your way to determining if it's you or the tool, and don't chase that different grind until you're sure that a modification is going to benefit you.

What kind do I own? Everything from the carbon set that came with my "first" lathe, albeit shorter in the tooth than formerly, to a behemoth of an A2 "bowl" gouge that I can barely lift. All of them cut wood, carbon takes less time to make a fine edge than HSS, and the powder metal types don't seem to have any great advantage when sharpened on the same wheel.

John Hart
12-17-2006, 8:29 AM
I'd like to add Toolrests to the list (all different shapes and sizes). Getting your toolrest as close to the work as possible is important for the elimination of chatter and subsequent catches. Battling chatter on a long reach can be a tiring experience.

Jim Becker
12-17-2006, 10:36 AM
I'd like to add Toolrests to the list (all different shapes and sizes). Getting your toolrest as close to the work as possible is important for the elimination of chatter and subsequent catches. Battling chatter on a long reach can be a tiring experience.

He has those, John...'came with the very nice lathe I sold him... ;)

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2006, 11:04 AM
He has those, John...'came with the very nice lathe I sold him... ;) Does that mean what I think it means? Mayo?

John Hart
12-17-2006, 1:24 PM
He has those, John...'came with the very nice lathe I sold him... ;)

Ohhhhhh....now I get it. Chris has everything that a body needs. Lucky stiff.:)

Chris Pasko
12-18-2006, 9:30 AM
Thanks again guys, I am going to pick up there dvd's, break out some tooks and see what I can make this thing do =).

Jim Becker
12-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Does that mean what I think it means? Mayo?

Yes, "petite" Mayo and VERY smooth running... ;) (with a bed extension)