PDA

View Full Version : Books for building/using homemade forge

Brian Hale
12-16-2006, 4:09 PM
My son has been talking for years now about building a forge but it never went beyond talk, till this year. He'll be graduating from college next semester. When i asked him what he wanted for Christmas he said books to guide him through the process to build a forge at the edge of our woods.

Any suggestions for the budding forger?

Thanks

Brian :)

Jack Dickey
12-16-2006, 4:20 PM
I have two books , both by Alexander G. Weygers ..
One is "The Modern Blacksmith " ISBN 0-671-60926-2
The other is " The Making of Tools " ISBN 0-671-60924-6
They were originally published in the mid 70's , mine are reprints from around 1986 ..
I dont know if they can still be found or not ..
He goes a very little into making a forge , but both are full of details on how to work steel , make jigs , and tools ..
I have never used them , other than just thumbing through them .. My forge is still in my brain somewhere ..
If you think you/he might be interested in them PM me , they're just taking up space on my bookshelf ...

Perry Holbrook
12-16-2006, 8:55 PM
I seriously looked at building a small propane forge earlier this year. What finally caught my eye was that there have been a lot of inprovements in the current burner designs and insulation materials that were not covered in any of the books that I found.

I did a lot of searching on Google reading articles from lots of people.

What I finally decided was that I could buy a small forge on ebay, built by someone who knows what he was doing, for about what I would spend on all the materials.

I'll use it while I'm learning and maybe then build me one that fits my exact needs.

Perry

Jack Dickey
12-16-2006, 9:57 PM
It is a very interesting craft .. I still want to build one just to tinker with , but I already have so many irons in the fire !!!

Jon Shively
12-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Coal or gas forge? If you are talking about a coal fired forge, RFD TV on Dish network had a show called Forge & Anvil and they built a coal fired forge from a wheel barrow pan and parts from the local hardware. May contact or see if it is posted on their website.