PDA

View Full Version : Last of the Christmas ornaments

John Timberlake
12-16-2006, 3:13 PM
After all the ornaments I have turned this fall, I still needed some to give to relatives. So, here are the last ornaments this year. They are made of ash and walnut. Thanks for looking.

The ash was from a tree I cut behind my house two years ago. The tree was dead when I cut it. While I was hollowing the center, the heat generated cause the outside to raise the grain. I also got a small burn (blister) from the steam coming out the hole. First time I have seen this.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2006, 4:30 PM
Very nice work John! Really like the different forms and finials! Should make for some really nice gifts!

Strange about the steam! How fast were you turning?

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2006, 5:50 PM
John those are beauties. I hope by next Christmas I am that good. You must be able to put them out in about 15 minutes. Nice work.

John Timberlake
12-16-2006, 6:56 PM
Strange about the steam! How fast were you turning?

The lathe was turning at 1100 rpm and the hollowing takes about 5-7 minutes.

Dennis Peacock
12-16-2006, 7:37 PM
Nice ornaments.!!!! I really like the squatty looking ones best. They are all very pretty and nicely done. Congrats John!!!! :cool:

Jim Underwood
12-16-2006, 11:50 PM
John,
You've gotten the method down! That hollowing time is pretty impressive, as well as your ornaments.

I made another one of these today, and it took me most of the day. I took a couple hours off to go to a party, but it still took a lot of time after that...

And I still have to put a finish on it. After so much work, I'm not sure I wanna give it away!:p

I think I'll go back to making birdhouses, they're easier!:D

John Hart
12-17-2006, 6:27 AM
That whole set would look great on a single christmas tree. Just beautiful John. Bet you're glad the mass production is over! :)

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2006, 9:51 AM
Man, have you got the ornament thing down or what. I've been working on one for three weeks... sheez.

I agree with John about all on one tree... that'd look great.