PDA

View Full Version : Saw Blade

Jerry Todd
11-09-2003, 5:52 PM
Need a new saw blade for my jet table saw. Not sure which one would be best for me. Cut a lot of cabinet grade plywood and hardwood. Please advise your favorite saw blade.
Thanks, Jerry

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-09-2003, 6:17 PM
Jerry, I couldn't be happier with my Forrest WW2 Blade. This thing cuts like nothing I have ever had before. Sure, I have had some really good blades in the past, and still have them, but for the money, the WW2 is hard to beat. Just my 2 cents worth............ ;)

Jim Becker
11-09-2003, 7:26 PM
I'm also a Forrest fan and keep a 40t WW-II on my saw most of the time. When it's not on the machine, my 20t WW-II ripping blade or my Forrest DadoKing is probably in its place! (I do have a Freud blade to use when the WW-II is out for sharpening...at least until I get a second one)

Seriously, while the Forrest blade is my preference, there are some very good blades available from Freud, Amana, Systimatic and others. Whatever you choose, buy the highest quality blade you can afford. The better blades last longer between sharpenings and generally have more sharpenings "in them". That saves you money in the long run.

Ted Shrader
11-09-2003, 9:04 PM
Jerry -

As the others have said, Forrest makes very good blades. Don't choose them to the exclusion of other manufacturers. Systematic, Amana, Freud, Jesada come to mind. (I have all but the Systematic.)

You said you were cutting a lot of cabinet grade plywood and hardwood. If you can, buy two blades and 80T (or so) and a 24-30T ripping blade. Ripping hardwood is really slow going and tends to burn the wood with a fine tooth blade. If you only have enough donero for a single blade, recommend going for a combination blade for now. Be sure to use a zero clearance insert to keep the tearout to a minimum.

Regards,
Ted

Bob Lasley
11-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Jerry,

If I could only have one blade, it would be a Forrest WWII, 40 tooth. It does everything better than any other combination blade I have tried including the new Dewalts. I currently also use a Systematic ripping blade when I am ripping hardwoods, especially when thicker than 4/4. I don't get as smooth a cut as with the Forrest, but a much faster one with absolutely no burning.

Bob

Ken Salisbury
11-10-2003, 11:14 AM
I have a standard response everytime this question appears.

For the 322nd time :D :

NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE - and - NOTHING CUTS LIKE A FORREST ! !

John Miliunas
11-10-2003, 1:03 PM
I have a standard response everytime this question appears.

For the 322nd time :D :

NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE - and - NOTHING CUTS LIKE A FORREST ! !

Yeah, what the "old man" said! :cool: I used to run Systematics. They were OK, but just not as nice as the WWII. :cool:

mike malone
11-10-2003, 8:00 PM
Need a new saw blade for my jet table saw. Not sure which one would be best for me. Cut a lot of cabinet grade plywood and hardwood. Please advise your favorite saw blade.
Thanks, Jerry

hi jerry
the engineers at dewalt sought out to make a blade as good as the forrest II, but much cheaper..., their result was the new dewalt 7657. the cost is $50. at half price it is prob worth the try.
best
mike

Byron Trantham
11-11-2003, 8:04 AM
I own the WWII and the dato-king. I also use a Freud 28 tooth rip blade. Between the three I think I have it covered. When the Feud needs happening I am going to replace it with Forrest. There's nothing wrong with the Freud, I've just become a Forrest snob! ;)